Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't re-establish Windows recovery environment

Hi bbearren, I will check this out and try.

The other Link you sent me previously did not work out. In the Command prompt all
    I kept getting was a message Error 87. I tried this a few time with the same results.

Thanks

Proof of Concept

My own WinRE is in the 450MB MSR partition (partition2 on harddisk1). After creating fresh drive images, I disabled it and ran through the instruction set for proof-of-concept for these instructions. I used all command line and copy/paste throughout after copying the commands to Notepad and inserting the copy command line, which doesn't appear in the instructions.

As you can see, WinRE is now located in harddisk1 partition1, which is my OS partition. After a restart, the PC booted into the Recovery Environment as instructed.

This method will work unless DISM or its supporting files have corruption.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren, when I created the windows iso from the link and mounted it,
    I get 2 drives, DVD Drive(F:} ESD-ISO and DVD Drive(G:} ESD-ISO, in File Explorer.
    This also shows in Disk Management, see attachment.
    Is this correct?

disk man 1.png
    Disk man 2.png
    Last edited by DaveBRenn; 2017-08-13 at 02:13. Reason: added attachment

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren, I ran the Windows 10 Recovery, the first step changing my drive to E completed successfully.
    The second command line was a no go. See attachment.

error 3 1.png
    Last edited by DaveBRenn; 2017-08-13 at 09:20.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBRenn View Post
    bbearren, I ran the Windows 10 Recovery, the first step changing my drive to E completed successfully.
    The second command line was a no go. See attachment.
    In my instruction set, the second command line is "md c:\test\". Your screen shot is the fourth command line, not the second.

Did you first create the two folders on C drive, "temp" and "test"?

Also, your disk management images do not show an E drive. "Change the X to the drive letter your installation media is actually using..."

You can't change X to a drive that does not exist on your system. Was "E" a typo?

Can you browse your mounted ISO in File Explorer? You have to be able to browse the contents in order for the instructions to work.

Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi bbearren, I did create the two folders on C drive.
    The mounted ISO shows "DVD Drive(E)ESD.ISO, so I used "E", was that corrrect?
    I can browse the mounted ISO in File Explorer.
    I hope this helps.
    WREC.png
    WREC 1.JPG
    WREC 2.png
    WREC 3.png
    Last edited by DaveBRenn; 2017-08-13 at 10:37.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just want to mention the install.wim file created in Temp, I cannot
    open it.

Thanks
    Install.wim is a deployment image, that's why the DISM tool has to mount it in order for it to be browsed. The dism.log file is an appended-type of file, meaning that it adds the latest usage at the end of the previous usage. A successful mounting of install.wim puts about 8KB at the end of dism.log. I've attached a text file of a successful install.wim mount.

If you can open your dism.log file, scroll down to the end, the last use should be the failed install.wim mount (use the date/time entry at the beginning of each line). You can see in my log that the beginning of a session is the setting of a Scratch directory. Copy that last session to a text file and attach that text file to your next reply. It might tell us something about what's going on.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bbearren; 2017-08-13 at 11:42. Reason: clarity

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hope this is correct.
    logs.txt

Thanks
    It appears that the DISM tool is attempting to look online rather than the source specified in the command line. WinSXS may have some issues, so I suggest the following commands, in order. Each takes some time to complete, just be patient. If you get an error code before you can run all of them to completion, post a reply with a screen grab where the code popped up.

Open an Administrators level Command Prompt and type or copy/paste

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

After that completes, type or copy/paste

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /analyzecomponentstore

sfc /scannow

After that completes, restart your PC. After reboot, open an Administrators level Command Prompt again and type or copy/paste

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Let us know the results.

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren, never received any error codes before completing all the commands'
    Have attached results.

CMD 1.png
    CMD 2.png
    CMD 3.png
    CMD 4.png

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 996 Posts
    JFI - To post the output of a cmd window to save you from posting fragmented pics, right click in the text area and click on Select all then press enter.

You can then right click in the reply box and select Paste.

HTH.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo, that will help I'm sure.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBRenn View Post
    bbearren, never received any error codes before completing all the commands'
    Have attached results.
    That's good.

Open an Administrators level Command Prompt, navigate to \Windows\Logs\DISM\ and rename your existing dism.log to dism.old.

Then go back to the instructions in the OP, skip down to

dism /mount-image /imagefile:"C:\temp\install.wim" /index:1 /mountdir:C:\test\ /readonly

and proceed from that point. NOTE! If you have Windows 10 Home, change /index:1 to read /index:2. /index:1 is for Windows 10 Pro.

Let us know the results. If you hit an error code, copy your new dism.log into a text file and attach it.

Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi bbearren, I think I have made a big mistake
    I changed the Dism to Dism. old just clicking on Local Disk C, Windows,Logs,DISM and
    changed that to dism.log.
    DISM 2.png

I think I should have used the one one in the following attachment? Can this be fixed? apologies if I have messed up.

Dism 1.png

DISM 3.png
    Last edited by DaveBRenn; 2017-08-14 at 10:23.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast