Star Lounger
    Thanks

Managing Email at different work spaces - POP/Imap

I have a basic understanding how Pop and Imap work but would like some suggestions on how to best set up email programs if you work in different offices. I started out with Pop as I like to have all my emails organised, archived and searchable. When I started working from a second location once a week, I accessed my emails via Imap there but only downloaded them via Pop to my prime workspace. Any outgoing emails from workspace 2 were bcc to myself, so that I would have them in my workspace 1. Now it seems I will be spending more time split between the two offices, so I need to adapt my set-up.
    Any suggestions on how to best manage such a probably quite common scenario? I suppose leaving messages on the server or doing everything via webmail are options but I am probably overlooking some good solutions.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Webmail is the best option IMO. IMAP is a less good option because it holds a copy of everything at each location and you probably don't want copies of your mail lying around. POP is bad because it only really works for incoming, not sent mail - as you know.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Since you have already set up everything as POP, you could continue that way and do your email in both locations. But in order to do that, you would need to set up the account on your primary computer to leave all incoming email on the server. By doing this, you would have all email everywhere. But there are three negatives to this approach: (1) As Paul pointed out, you would have a copy of all of your email in each location. While he was speaking of IMAP, POP3 is also like that if you never delete it from the server; (2) If you delete an email from one computer, it won't delete anywhere else unless you delete it there as well; (3) If you retain lots of email, you could easily max out your Inbox - you'll need to stay on top of that.

IMAP is just like the above, except for one thing: If you delete an email on one computer (or from web mail), it will automatically delete from every other computer the next time you log into your email on that computer.

I use IMAP myself, with an email program on each computer that I use. The email program I use is Thunderbird, because it works in Linux and Windows, and I use both of those regularly. In this way, my email is always current, no matter where I check it from; and also, it matches what is in webmail (I sometimes check my email that way).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hmm, need to give that more thought. I don't particularly like webmail as I find it clunky - my preferred email program has so many shortcuts / templates for use that having to go back to individually write out each email instead of using text templates does not seem appealing. I may switch to Imap - using POP with leave on server would be ok, but the "sending" part seems to cumbersome (to have copies) and I would be afraid that the size on the server would blow out.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Make sure you encrypt the local copies of the email, if possible.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is another possibility that might interest you if it works the way I think it might work (and you will have to get advice from someone else about it, since I don’t know myself), and that is that Thunderbird has a portable version, which means you might be able to put it on your keychain and carry the whole shebang back and forth with you. You might pay a visit to portableapps.com or the various other sources online or, with luck, get information here in the Lounge.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beethoven View Post
    I would be afraid that the size on the server would blow out.
    To avoid that, you either (1) delete emails, (2) move email from the IMAP folders to the offline folders on one of your computers, or (3) increase the size of your mailbox (i.e. pay more to your email service).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    a portable version, which means you might be able to put it on your keychain and carry the whole shebang back and forth with you
    That should work with Outlook PST file, where you use the same drive letter for the flash drive in each place you plug it in. I recently switched my PST from my D: drive to another when D: went bad, and then switched it back again to the replacement. Worked fine.

It should also work with Eudora if I recall correctly, and other mail programs which use a self-contained file or folder structure to store all the necessary data.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 4TB HD

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks