New Lounger
    Thanks

Youtube downloads

Hi all

I do a lot of music clip downloading from YouTube and as we all know the video quality might look perfect on the original source, but once the clip is burnt into DVD the playback on a stand-alone TV is disappointing as the picture ends up being pixelated.
    This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know if it is possible to ‘de-pixelate’ the video content??

Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions.

Thanks
    You are apparently downloading the low quality versions of the files. Its not possible to add detail that isn't there. You need to download the high resolution versions of the files. Search "How to download 720p or 1080p video from YouTube" for instructions and the required software.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all

Many thanks for your suggestions - 4 things I should have mentioned from the very start:
    1. I'm no computer geek (meaning I download at the highest possible resolution on offer)
    2. This pixilation issue only affects some downloads (as 480 is the highest resolution available to choose from), so I have my doubts whether de-pixelling is possible at all.
    3. Most downloads-when viewing the playback on TV-are absolutely perfect, meaning the TV or DVD disc aren't at fault in any way.
    4. I save everything as a MP4.

Thanks
    This pixilation issue only affects some downloads (as 480 is the highest resolution available to choose from), so I have my doubts whether de-pixelling is possible at all.

You just answered your own question. Most Common Video Resolutions are the following ones:

352 x 240 (240p) (SD)
    480 x 360 (360p)
    858 x 480 (480p)
    1280 x 720 (720p) (Half HD)
    1920 x 1080 (1080p) (Full HD)
    3860 x 2160 (2160p) (Ultra-HD) (4K)

Most modern TV’s use 1080p or 4K. 720p is also called HD but is usually used for laptop screens these days. 480p and lower will not display properly on a big screen. There is no way to make 480p look good even using the best scaling algorithms.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramerica View Post
    Hi all

I do a lot of music clip downloading from YouTube and as we all know the video quality might look perfect on the original source, but once the clip is burnt into DVD the playback on a stand-alone TV is disappointing as the picture ends up being pixelated.
    This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know if it is possible to ‘de-pixelate’ the video content??

Thanks in advance for any answers or suggestions.
    Basically, no. If you've downloaded a clip and found it pixelated then you're stuffed. You can't 'upscale' a low quality source.

I suggest you have a look at a tool like youtube-dl, a command-line program to download videos from YouTube.

I used it, together with AutoHotkey as a front-end, to build my Dad a 'YouTube downloader' that met his needs regarding audio and video quality.

Hope this helps...

PS - If you're interested then have a look at my QAD (Quick And Dirty) downloader. It's very basic with little or no error-checking but I still use it - 3 years on - as an easy way to download YouTube videos free from adverts

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick:
    It may be me, but when I tried step-2, downloading the DL, it comes up with a 404-page not found??
    Dick

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    It may be me, but when I tried step-2, downloading the DL, it comes up with a 404-page not found??
    Nope, not you. The project has apparently changed since I last downloaded the executable... which can now be downloaded from here. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2017-10-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y
    I'm unable to update the AutoHotkey page I originally posted my code to as it's now an archived forum.

Here's a newer version (QAD v3) which includes a built-in updater:

Code:
    ; http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topi...be-downloader/
    ; 
    ; v0.1 (17/02/2014) was a very basic downloader.
    ; v0.2 (19/02/2014) added updating of youtube-dl.exe after I realised it's updated frequently.
    ; v0.3 (01/03/2014) amended updating of youtube-dl.exe (Thanks to Garry)

#NoEnv                              ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases
    SendMode Input                      ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability
    SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%         ; Ensures a consistent starting directory
    #SingleInstance force               ; Ensure only one instance is running

f1=%a_scriptdir%\youtube-dl.exe

IfExist, %f1%                        ; Test whether youtube-dl.exe is in same folder as script
       FileGetVersion, CurrentVer, %f1%  ; Retrieve the version number of the current exe.
    Else
    {
    MsgBox,16, Warning!, youtube-dl.exe not found in %a_scriptdir%.`n`n Can neither run nor update... ; Inform user
    ExitApp                           ; Exit the app
    }

; GUI stuff
    Gui, Add, Tab2, x0 y0 w370 h100 , Download|Update   ; Define tab names and positions
    Gui, Tab, Download                                  ; Add 'Download' tab to dialog
    Gui, Add, Text, x8 y30 w360 h30 , Please enter/paste the YouTube URL below then click on the 'OK' button.
    Gui, Add, Edit, x8 y50 w270 h20 vYouTubeURL,        ; Add edit box to input YouTube URL
    Gui, Add, Button, x290 y50 w60 h20, OK              ; Add an 'OK' button
    Gui, Tab, Update                                    ; Add 'Update' tab to dialog
    Gui, Add, Text, x10 y30 w260 h60 , Current version of youtube-dl.exe is %CurrentVer%.`n`nClick on the 'Update' button to update youtube-dl.exe.
    Gui, Add, Button, x290 y50 w60 h20 , Update         ; Add an 'Update' button
    Gui, Show, w370 h80, QAD YouTube Downloader v0.3    ; Show the dialog
    GuiControl, Focus, YouTubeURL                       ; Put the focus into the edit box
    Return

Guiclose:
    exitapp

; Button stuff
    ButtonUpdate:                                             ; If user clicks on the Update button
    Gui,submit,nohide
    IfNotExist, C:\Temp                                       ; If this folder doesn't exist...
      FileCreateDir C:\Temp                                   ; then create it
    Ifexist,C:\Temp\youtube-dl.exe
      filedelete,C:\Temp\youtube-dl.exe
    IfNotExist, C:\Temp\youtube-dl.exe                        ; If a copy of the exe doesn't exist...
      FileCopy, %f1%, C:\Temp                                 ; then copy it
    RunWait, %comspec% /c "C:\Temp\youtube-dl.exe -U",,hide   ; Download any updated exe hidden
    Sleep, 6000                                               ; Wait 6 seconds for file locks to be removed

FileGetVersion, NewVer, C:\Temp\youtube-dl.exe
    msgbox, 262208,Update-Info, NewVer=%newver%`nCurrentver=%currentver%

If (NewVer=CurrentVer)
      {
      MsgBox, 64, QAD YouTube Downloader, % "No new version of youtube-dl.exe is available." ; Inform user
      return
      }
    else
      {
      msgbox, 262208,Update-Info, NewVer=%newver%`nCurrentver=%currentver%`nNew youtube-dl.exe available`nOld version will be renamed
      FileMove,%f1%, %a_scriptdir%\%a_now%_youtube-dl.exe                                    ;- rename existing old youtube-dl.exe
      sleep,500
      FileMove, C:\Temp\youtube-dl.exe, %a_scriptdir%, 1                                     ;- Move updated exe back
      MsgBox, 64, QAD YouTube Downloader, % "youtube-dl.exe has been updated."               ;- Inform user
      return
      }
    return

ButtonOK:                             ; If user clicks on the OK button
    Gui, Submit,nohide                    ; Save the input from the user to each control's associated variable
    If YouTubeURL=
      {
      MsgBox, No URL detected.
      return
      }
    Else
      {
      RunWait, %comspec% /c "youtube-dl.exe -t %YouTubeURL%"
      MsgBox, 64, QAD YouTube Downloader, % "The video has been downloaded."
      youtubeurl=
      return
      }
    return
    I've just checked a few minutes ago and it's updated the youtube-dl.exe to the latest verstion. Sorry the interface is a bit clunky. I lost interest when I realised it just worked as my Dad wanted so haven't bothered adding any more features like 'select quality', etc (even though the executable allows this using, for example, switches for bestvideo or bestaudio). By default, it just tries to download the best available quality anyway.

You might, however, want to have a look at Format Selection if you want to change the download format.

My script still works how I want it but I wrote it back in 2014 and, looking at the youtube-dl page on GitHub, the author made several changes at the end of April 2015.

Hope this helps...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pardon my "ignorance" Rick, but what do you mean by: "Copy/paste it into your C:\Windows folder (or anywhere else that your PATH statement includes)."

In other words, how do I do step 2 of your instructions on the other site?

Dick

Thanks
    Pardon my "ignorance" Rick, but what do you mean by: "Copy/paste it into your C:\Windows folder (or anywhere else that your PATH statement includes)."

In other words, how do I do step 2 of your instructions on the other site?
    With QAD v1 I suggested you download and copy the youtube-dl.exe file to C:\Windows. I've made a number of changes to the AHK script since then. With QAD v3 it is no longer necessary to copy the youtube-dl.exe file to C:\Windows. Instead, just create a folder (e.g. C:\QAD) and put both the script file and youtube-dl.exe file in it together.

Hope this helps...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2017-10-05)

Thanks
    The easiest way to download videos is to use the online down-loader Keepvid. You just paste in the url of the video and choose the format you want. Ignore the desktop and pro versions as they are paid for. It also reacts faster to any changes made by YouTube.

https://keepvid.com/

There are also lots of browser addons/extensions available, but most don't work with the new YouTube format as yet.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The best high resolution videos I have seen online, if you want to explore some, are from the BBC.

For reference, HERE is a blog about it in general, and HERE are some links, along with THIS, and THIS.

For recording I use (paid) Audials One, which I find satisfactory.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2017-10-05 at 19:23. Reason: Rewritten

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry Rick. My "ignorance" is still getting in my way. I guess I need an Idiot's Guide to running what you've created.
    I copied the text from above and 1st saved it as a txt file, and ran the dl. exe . . .nothing.
    So I renamed the txt file to a vbs file and ran the dl.exe . . .again, nothing.

Obviously I don't know what I'm doing, so I really do need an Idiot's Guide.
    Dick

Thanks
    Sorry Rick. My "ignorance" is still getting in my way. I guess I need an Idiot's Guide to running what you've created.
    I copied the text from above and 1st saved it as a txt file, and ran the dl. exe . . .nothing.
    So I renamed the txt file to a vbs file and ran the dl.exe . . .again, nothing.

Obviously I don't know what I'm doing, so I really do need an Idiot's Guide.
    It's not your fault at all. The instructions in the AutoHotkey thread I linked to were more than 3 years old, very basic and made some assumptions about familiarity with AHK. Bear with me and I'll knock up some new instructions that are more informative and up-to-date.

EDIT: I've re-done the instructions from scratch 'cos I only had a Win 10 PC to play on. Have a look at the An AutoHotkey front-end to the YouTube-dl command-line utility thread.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2017-10-05)