3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Not Syncing with icloud.com

Suddenly I'm getting an error message from Outlook that "Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folder for name@icloud.com . Error: Cannot connect to the server...." I can see what's on my icloud just fine, including my calendar and contacts. My email is appearing on my iPhone and seems to sync with Outlook okay. I'm getting a sudden surge in email delivery failures to Verizon accounts because of "temporary failure." I'm not sure if this is related or not. My mail seems to be working correctly other than that.

I have Win10, Outlook 2016.

Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,039 Posts
    That sounds like a network problem on your PC. Do you have trouble browsing the web?
    Have you run a virus scan lately?

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Paul,

Nope, I have no problems at all on the web and my email sends and receives, but I get this error message at the end. No viruses.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It has something obviously to do with my icloud stuff, but I don't know what and Comcast was no help. I spent an hour on the phone with them...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm still getting the same message. I'm figuring that this must be the result of some patch by M/S. Anyone else seeing this?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I submitted this to an Apple community and got the answer:

Apple now requires you to use two-factor authentication (two-step verification where two-factor authentication is not available) and create an app specific password for 3rd party applications that access your iCloud account with the use of a password, you can initiate the two-factor authentication (two-step verification) set up and create app specific passwords at My Apple ID

Two-factor authentication is currently available to iCloud users (in most locations) with at least one device that's using iOS 9 or OS X El Capitan or later. If you can’t meet the criteria for two-factor authentication you can set up two-step verification which only requires a device registered with ‘Find my phone' or a phone number able to receive SMS messages.

Apple generated a long password that I had to put into my account settings for my name@icloud.com and now it syncs just fine.