Thanks

Terabyte BootItBareMetal makedisk operations/questions.

Terabyte BootItBareMetal makedisk creates "contents.txt" - that's all. I carefully read through the BBM pdf and selected what appeared to be my best choices for BootItBareMetal usb and dvd boots. What I've done is have BBM makedisk create an ISO rather than burning a dvd; my usb sticks show only a "contents.txt" -- that's all.

Only the Linux ISOs, using Terabyte's IFW's makedisk for Linux has meat in its ISO.
    In fact, one IFL also includes BBM in its ISO.

bbearen, you are one of the "grand-masters" of Terabyte products, would you help me with your experience?
    I need to correct whatever I'm doing (X) incorrectly or not doing (Y) something correctly.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2017-08-31 at 13:30.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

Thanks
    Over in Terabyte forum, one end-user, having a very similar problem, was asked if the usb (or dvd) in question booted or not -- I tried booting my usb sticks (containing contents.txt) and --> no boot, just a blinking cursor.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

Thanks
    The first BootIt disk I ever made (BootIt NG) I just followed the directions, and it worked. I still follow the directions with BootIt Bare Metal, and it still works. I do right-click makedisk.exe and select Run as administrator. I use an old re-purposed 65MB USB stick (a promotional issue for an insurance company I got in the mail) and upgrade the same stick every time I upgrade to the latest version of BootIt BM.

I go almost completely default on everything in the setup except for in Boot Options I select Partition Work, and in Global Geometry and MBR Options I tick Align Partitions on 1MB Boundaries and Use Source Host Geometry. I prefer 1024 X 768 256 Colors, put my pertinent information in the License screen, and select my Generic USB. I don't make any other changes.

Keep in mind the following: "BootIt BM will not boot on UEFI systems configured in UEFI mode. To boot on these systems Secure Boot must be disabled and you must enable or use Legacy mode." Also, if you use BootIt BM for your partition work, DO NOT use any other partitioning tools, including Windows own partitioning tools.

BootIt BM will only boot in Legacy mode. That means if you have a UEFI system, you will have to go into Setup and change your boot options to Legacy, or BootIt will not boot. I go through All Settings > Update and Security > Recovery > Advanced startup > Restart now > then make the selection to go into UEFI settings. Then I change to Legacy USB boot, save and exit, and the system boots into BootIt BM Partition Work.

My working BootIt BM USB stick contains:

Last edited by bbearren; 2017-08-29 at 19:56.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    BootItBM is one of my most-used programs; I dual-boot between different OSs on several computer sytems.

Have upgraded BootItBM whenever newer versions have been released. Have yet to experience any failure or mess-up using BootItBM.

In fact, as far as I am concerned BootItBM is one of the most reliable and effective programs I've ever used.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

Thanks
    Guys, I should have mentioned, all my computers are BIOS, there are no UEFI sets, sorry about my oversight

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Guys, I should have mentioned, all my computers are BIOS, there are no UEFI sets, sorry about my oversight
    Whether BIOS or UEFI should not matter. Problem you're having seems to be with options you are choosing in the "makedisk.exe" program. You need to use "makedisk.exe" to create an ISO file which you can subsequently burn to a CD or USB disk.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

Thanks
    "...Also, if you use BootIt BM for your partition work, DO NOT use any other partitioning tools, including Windows own partitioning tools..." Would this include not using Acronis Disk Director, for example, later next month?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Roland,
    If you use File Explorer or some other file manager, or load the ISO into a program to view the content of the CD or the ISO, "contents.txt" is all that you will see, but the disk will still be bootable, and contain the utilities supplied by Terabyte with BIBM.
    Last edited by Cliff.H; 2017-08-30 at 14:32.
    Cliff

Thanks
    Cliff, I will try re-making and re-booting several of the suspect ISOs in which only "contents.txt" appears; will report back on my progress. I've been full image backing up my C and D partitions today -- those itty bitty platter-driven usb ext HDs do take a little time; being done via MR7 within Windows 7.

Thanks
    "...Also, if you use BootIt BM for your partition work, DO NOT use any other partitioning tools, including Windows own partitioning tools..." Would this include not using Acronis Disk Director, for example, later next month?
    Read page 27 in the BootIt BM Manual (it's included in the download) for further explanation.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I changed the thread title to acknowledge its evolution

Now, back to business, I successfully made BBM Normal and Partiton Work USB boot sticks, following bbearen's earlier post ideas.
    One of the options given at the start of Normal is:
    Do I want to install BootIt Bare Metal to the current internal hard-drive?
    I did not, because I think that would be crossing the Rubican, and that would end any future use of Acronis Disk Director or any other partition utility, including Windows -- am I correct in that assumption?

Also, would that installation reset an internal HD back to Square One, akin to a brand-new nothing-on-it HD?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, Roland, I'd suggest...
    (1) creating an image of the entire drive (use Image for Windows, Image for DOS, Image for Linux, Macrium Reflect, AOMEI, etc.),
    (2) then experiment with BootIt Bare Metal, and
    (3) restore your pre-experiment image if necessary.

EDIT: Of course, one should never experiment with one's main computer. Don't risk a lengthy down time!
    Last edited by RockE; 2017-08-31 at 18:41. Reason: afterthought
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    I changed the thread title to acknowledge its evolution

Now, back to business, I successfully made BBM Normal and Partiton Work USB boot sticks, following bbearen's earlier post ideas.
    The only difference between your two sticks is in the bootitbm.ini file governing which interface loads when the stick is booted. There is no other difference.
    One of the options given at the start of Normal is:
    Do I want to install BootIt Bare Metal to the current internal hard-drive?
    I did not, because I think that would be crossing the Rubican, and that would end any future use of Acronis Disk Director or any other partition utility, including Windows -- am I correct in that assumption?
    Again, I urge you to read page 27 in the BootIt BM Manual. There is no real need to install BootIt Bare Metal unless you multi-boot the machine with two or more OS's. BootIt BM can become your boot menu for selecting the OS you wish to boot (there are other methods, as well). BootIt BM will only install on a MBR/BIOS system. It will not install on a UEFI/GPT system.

The caution against using any other partitioning tool only applies if one installs BootIt BM and has chosen not to Limit Primaries (leave the checkbox blank) in the Settings menu. Installing BootIt BM creates a small (6MB) partition called EMBR, Extended Master Boot Record. An MBR type disk can only have 4 primary partitions. Partitioning tools other than BootIt BM know where to look for the partition table, and how to deal with it. BootIt BM EMBR type disks support over 200 primary partitions, and the partition information is stored in the EMBR partition in a Master Partition Table (MPT). Using a different partitioning tool can really foul up that partitioning scheme IF one has chosen to not Limit Primaries.

Of course, on an MBR type disk one can have three primary partitions and one extended partition. Within that extended partition, one can create many logical partitions. On the other hand, MBR can only handle drives of 2TB and less. A GPT type drive can have 128 primary partitions, and handle very large drives.

Also, would that installation reset an internal HD back to Square One, akin to a brand-new nothing-on-it HD?
    No, it would only create a small EMBR partition and install itself there. It would make no other changes other than those you have selected in the Settings menus before installation.

Personally, I haven't had any reason to use any partitioning tool other than BootIt BM. It does everything I need, I'm quite familiar with the interface, and I like that it works at the very basic level of the BIOS.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2017-09-01 at 11:54.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanks so much for your posts, bbearen! And thanks to all others! Even I can read the manual, what is says is often not clear to me -- until awhile later, or, until others have explained such in other words, based on their experiences. My first round of backups are almost done. After another round of backups, I plan to experiment with BBM a lot more, of course, all the while, re-reading and applying what I have learned from WSL.