Silver Lounger
    Thanks

How do I import email messages and storage folders frm Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird?

How do I import email messages and storage folders from Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird?
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit. (Intel Core i7 7700 Kaby Lake Processor -Asus B150 Pro (LGA1151) Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 16 GB DDR4)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    You'll probably need to add the "ImportExportTools" add-on to Thunderbird before you can import your WLM email databases to Thunderbird.

See this ImportExportTools webpage for full info...
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't mention that WLM is on my Win 7 hard drive and Thunderbird is on my Win 10 hard drive. How do I proceed? ( I have downloaded the import/export tool, and can access it from Win 7 and Win 10).
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit. (Intel Core i7 7700 Kaby Lake Processor -Asus B150 Pro (LGA1151) Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 16 GB DDR4)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    I didn't mention that WLM is on my Win 7 hard drive and Thunderbird is on my Win 10 hard drive. How do I proceed? ( I have downloaded the import/export tool, and can access it from Win 7 and Win 10).
    So you need to copy the "C:\Users\[User]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail" folder to a USB drive and then to a temporary folder on your Win10 drive. Then in Thunderbird (on your Win10 system) use the "Tools\ImportExportTools\Import all messages from a directory\also from its subdirectorectories" function to import your WLM messages (you might have to play with it).
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin, I followed your instructions, but when it came to "Then in Thunderbird (on your Win10 system) use the "Tools\ImportExportTools\Import all messages from a directory\also from its subdirectorectories" function to import your WLM messages" I could not find the function you mentioned in Thunderbird. What can I do to solve this problem?

Roy Whitethread

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin, I found the Import function but when I opened it and selected "Import Everything" I was told no application to import from was found, so what can I do now?

Roy Whitethread

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I backup my emails by simply dragging and dropping them into an Explorer folder, whence they're backed up with everything else.

You could do the same; then drag'n'drop them into TB.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    tonyl, I copied my Windows Live Mail folder into an Explorer folder in Win 10, but dragging and dropping them into Thunderbird didn't work.

Roy Whitethread

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry Roy, I should've made it clear: you copy the emails, not the folders. It does mean more work, as you have to recreate the folders in TB, but it's not too hard and you'll only do it once. And if we're talking about a huge number of emails, <ctrl+A> selects all the emails in a folder.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    tonyl, sorry but what you're suggesting doesn't work for me.

Can anyone recommend an alternative email program which has an import function?

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Coochin, I found the Import function but when I opened it and selected "Import Everything" I was told no application to import from was found, so what can I do now?
    Sorry, I should have made it clear that you need to create a new folder under "Local Folders" in Thunderbird to import to. Once you have imported the WLM messages you can move them as appropriate to the applicable Thunderbird folders (drag'n'drop).