3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Losing draft of wip modified resend message

Have you had that feeling "I'm sure that...."

I'm pretty sure that there is (I have!) a problem in outlook 2016. I had a difficult message to compose and had sent a proposition for comment. I received incoming emails with advice -> opened my original sent message selected resend message and recomposed a new version. part way through I had to take a break and clicked the "x" in the corner and when the prompt came "do you want to save said "yes".

When I got back to it I couldn't find the saved message in drafts or anywhere else. Sigh and start again.

This happened a couple of times before I began thinking there was actually a problem.

So I ran a test message, and can replicate the issue.

I can take a sent message, open it, modify it and then close it - answer the prompt "do you want to save" with yes. The message closes and I cant find the saved modified message anywhere.

Really irritating because I spent alot of time on the changes.....

any ideas?

thanks

Mike C

Thanks
    Choose "save as" rather than "save", to see where Outlook will try to put it. Look in that folder for the lost message.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, thanks mrjimphelps - I think!

I had tried that in my test, and, of course if you are editing a message and do file save as what you save is a .msg file in your normal folders set not in your outlook folders. Anyway I did your suggestion and found i about to file it in my documents folder. I checked in exxplorer and none of my failed messages or test were sitting in there.

BUT...

I wondered and tried repening a sent message>action>resend> edit message> file save as> cancel> click "X" > prompt "do you want to save">yes >message disappears>close original

....and modified message IS in drafts.

So the act of pretending to save it seems to have woken it up the to need to save if edit is aborted.

It seems to be repeateable so I have a problem and a workaround!

Thank you

Mike C

PS I'm leaving the thread open for now to find out if anyone else can replicate the same problem and has a "proper" solution

Thanks
    I didn't think about looking in the drafts folder; but sometimes I have observed Outlook "closing" an email and saving it in the drafts folder.

Glad you figured it out.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is "When replying to a message that is not in the inbox, save the reply in the same folder" checked at File, Options, Mail, Save messages?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Is "When replying to a message that is not in the inbox, save the reply in the same folder" checked at File, Options, Mail, Save messages?
    BruceR,

I am so sorry, I dont think I received a notification that someone had added to the thread. I wasn't tuned in because I thought I had a workaround.

I say thought because it (my workaround) is now not working. I am still looking for help here.

No that option is not checked - on several of my pst files I hold incoming and outgoing messages in separate folders.

Regards

Mike C

Thanks
    I've found this to work when that happens to me:

Do a Search of the Inbox for a distinctive word that you know is in one of the missing drafts. Then when the results show, click on Search Again in All Mail Items. I've had it find the missing draft, and it even shows its location as in Drafts, even though it is not in there as far as I can see.