5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Legacy Driver

AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Driver is a legacy product that doesn’t update to the latest driver version for Windows 10: Error 175 – AMD Installer Cannot Continue Due to Unsupported AMD Graphics Hardware.

Error 175 AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics.PNG

Is there a Windows 10 graphics card that can be installed that can be used instead of the on-board AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics?
    --- The computer is a Gateway SX2110G Win8 (x64) desktop Win10 (x64) 1.47 gigahertz AMD E1-1500 APU with Radeon HD Graphics.
    --- It’s a SFF system so it will take a low profile graphics card.
    --- I’ve looked some up but I can’t determine what would work on this computer.
    --- My brother does play Pogo games on it but he doesn’t get into heavy gaming.
    --- He wants the lowest price possible
    The power supply is a Switching power supply 220W Model no. DPS-220U B-5 A Rev 03f
    PY2200901131703960P203 Mfg. date 2013/04/22.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't looked up the specs on your HD 7310, but I installed an AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card when Windows 10 didn't like the one which was integrated into my motherboard.
    Here are some examples.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2017-09-07)

Thanks
    Try the AMD driver for the APU if you haven't done so already: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

5. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2017-09-07)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    I haven't looked up the specs on your HD 7310, but I installed an AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card when Windows 10 didn't like the one which was integrated into my motherboard.
    Here are some examples.
    Thanks for that. Unfortunately the computer has a 220W PS. The items I checked are recommended to run with 400W PS's. For now, we'll stay with what we have.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Try the AMD driver for the APU if you haven't done so already: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
    Catalyst Software Suite 245MB 15.7.1 7/29/2015 did install.
    Download AMD Drivers & Software for Radeon, FirePro, APU, CPU, desktops, and laptops
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/download
    However, device manager reports that Driver version 15.201.1151.0 Driver date 8/21/2015 Digital signer Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher is the latest version and is still in use.
    --- Since the 16.15.2211 cannot be updated to by the “AMD Installer Cannot Continue Due to Unsupported AMD Graphics Hardware”, we’ll live with what we have.

In summary
    AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Driver is installed on this computer.
    --- Driver version 15.201.1151.0 Driver date 8/21/2015
    --- Digital signer Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility Publisher
    The AMD Catalyst Control Center wants to update to the latest driver version for Windows 10: 16.15.2211 but cannot: Error 175 – AMD Installer Cannot Continue Due to Unsupported AMD Graphics Hardware. The AMD Installer is designed to support GCN (Graphics Core Next) Architecture based graphics cards. The installed driver version 15.201.1151.0 Driver date 8/21/2015 is a legacy product and is not based on the GCN (Graphics Core Next) Architecture.
    AMD Radeon™ Software Support for Legacy Graphics Products
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...indows+10+-+64

Thanks
    Okay, so you're now stuck with the basic W10 driver version from Windows Update, that doesn't mean your PSU can't safely run a 25-50W GPU though.

Nvidia's PSU recommendations for their GPUs are based on: "Recommendation is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2 GHz processor. Pre-built system may require less power depending on system configuration" and tend to be ~100W lower than AMD's.

AMD's CPU/APU's tend to use significantly more power than Intel's, their home/enthusiast range includes 125+W CPU's, close to double that of many Intel i7's or single socket Xeons.

This PC uses (18W APU) so ~50-60W peak? I'd look for a low profile GeForce GT 730 GDDR5, at 25W it'll not stress the PSU and should be a better performer than older cards, or a Radeon R7 240 GDDR5. You should still have plenty of PSU headroom.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2017-09-09)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like that explanation. I'm not a hardware person but when I see an explanation like that it helps me get a better grasp on how to determine what I can do. I was using the PS recommendation. I will definitely check out those 2 recommendations. On the driver version I suppose it may have originally been coming from Windows Update when it was on 8, then 8.1 but when my brother got it he upgraded to Win10 and the recommendation to update to a newer version for Win10 is coming from the AMD Catalyst Control Center. Also the Catalyst Control Center is scheduled to check for updates again on Sep 21: is there a way to eliminate that schedule?
    EDIT: On the GeForce GT 730 GDDR5, are the G & the 5 significant?
    --- I've noticed quite a few DDR3's.
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2017-09-09 at 08:55.

Thanks
    I'm pretty sure you'll need to fully uninstall the AMD driver and Catalyst: https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1312

The following AMD APU products with AMD Radeon™ Graphics support up to WDDM 1.2 and DirectX® 11 on Windows 10:

AMD A4/A6/A8-3000 Series APUs
    AMD E2-2000 APU
    AMD E1/E2-1000 Series APUs
    AMD E-200/300/400 Series APUs
    AMD C-Series APUs
    AMD Z-Series APUs

NOTE: These APU products must be installed only using the display driver version available via Windows Update. If you have upgraded to Windows® 10, please DO NOT install the AMD Catalyst™ Driver. Instead, enable Windows Update and allow it to detect and install the appropriate driver.

If you have already upgraded to Windows® 10 and installed the AMD Catalyst™ Driver, please follow the steps listed below to resolve this issue

Uninstall the AMD Catalyst™ Driver using the Program and Features option in the Control Panel
    Reboot the system
    Use Windows Update to install the appropriate graphics driver for the APU.

The (G)DDR3/5 differences are very significant, 5 has a lot more memory bandwidth, giving much faster graphics drawing in both 2D (smoother web browsing and video playback) and 3D (gaming), usually reducing the CPU/Windows kernel usage too, regardless of the amount of memory. G refers to graphics as opposed to motherboard memory, safe to ignore as GDDR/DDR are used interchangeably with graphics card blurb.

FreonTrip nails the differences between the 3 GT 730's on reddit:
    The GT 730 is one of three different cards! The 2 gig version runs 64-bit DDR3 and is built around a Kepler GPU, effectively making it a GT 640 with an abundance of RAM. The 1 gig version with 64-bit DDR3 memory is built around an old Fermi GPU, which runs substantially hotter and is generally slower. Buyer beware! The DDR3 versions have only a fraction of the GT 740's bandwidth and will be considerably hobbled!

Finally, if you're dead set on the GT 730, the one to get is the 1 gig version built around GDDR5, which has twice the memory bandwidth of the others and a Kepler GPU.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2017-09-10)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another excellent explanation. Unfortunately though I don't think one of them will fit in this computer as it would have to be a card without a fan or anything else on it. As I started checking out some cards on-line, the width of the card & the attached fan on it led me to open the computer: I measured only 1" from the body of the SFF frame to the outer edge of the slot so I imagine the best width I could accept would be about 7/8" width. I don't recall the dimensions of the units I was checking out on-line but none of them came close to such a narrow width. Here is an example of a motherboard that looks exactly like the one in this computer except for the 4 slots for memory chips.
    s-l1600.jpg

Thanks
    Hmm, that looks like a DTX motherboard, 8" x 9.6" Shuttle compatible with a full length PCIE (can't tell what bandwidth) outboard and a 1x PCIE (white) inboard.

Checking the images at Newegg, it would need a single slot, half height card - ventilation above the card looks minimal at best so you'd better go lower wattage/performance and see if you can find a suitable GT 710/720 @19W (or similar AMD). The 720 might still be available in a GDDR5 version - somewhere... so that would be my preferred fallback if it's slim enough.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2017-09-12)