2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Save action

I have a small 4 computer local network. My primary box is a W10 Desktop that has a ethernet connection to my DSL modem/router. I also have a Windows XP machine that is ethernet connected to the same DSL modem/router. Then I have a Vista laptop that has a wireless connection to the DSL modem/router and also a W10 laptop that has a wireless connection to the DSL modem router.

Certain Excel data files that I have I update on the rest of the machines. When saving to the XP, Vista and W10 Desktop the save action the save takes place nearly instantaneously - when I save to the W10 Laptop it takes several seconds for the save to take place.

I am at a loss to understand why it takes longer with the W10 laptop than it does with any of the other machines.

Comments?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,042 Posts
    Same A/V of all machines?

Which version of Windows 10 on each?
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    W10 Home

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are both of the Windows 10 Home edition installations version 1703 (or something else perhaps)?
    Are they both the same OS Build number (OS Build 15036.540 for instance)?
    [You should be able to right-click the start button and choose "command prompt (Admin)". Windows User account control will ask your permission to open a command windows; click "yes". When the windows opens, type "winver" in the window and press the ENTER key on your keyboard. This will open a window which shows the version and build number.]

Is there any difference between the wireless adapters? (In other words is one adapter connecting as 802.11g, while another is 802.11n?)
    We may not be able to pinpoint the problem without more detail.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Both are Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.540)

I do note that the laptop doesn't show who the software is 'licensed to'.

Administrator
    Thanks
    What happens if you save a file to the laptop immediately after saving one which was slow?
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    What happens if you save a file to the laptop immediately after saving one which was slow?
    Slow every time. I am only talking about a 2 or 3 second delay - but it is noticeable.

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you have a homegroup setup you should disable it. A homegroup does no good for XP and Vista.
    Joe

Thanks
    If you create an Excel file on the Win 10 laptop and save it to itself, how is the save time?

Thanks
    I have a similar situation to yours -- Not that long ago I had a Windows 7 / Office 2010 laptop at my job; about six months ago our laptops were replaced with Windows 10 / Office 2016 laptops.

I am doing the exact same thing now as I did before the upgrade. I access the same documents from the same locations on the network as I did before. But things are slower now than they were when I had the Windows 7 laptop:

* Whenever I save a Word or Excel document which is on the network (in iShare), it seems that not only is the save process slower than before, but it goes through more steps each time it saves. Saves are faster when I am saving to my hard drive rather than to the network; but they still take longer than they did in Windows 7.

* If I want to update an existing document with new information, then save it under a new name, that takes longer as well: I click Save As, I browse to the correct folder, and I click on an existing file, to load that filename into the save-as window. I then click on the filename and make changes to it (to result in a new filename for the new file). As soon as I start typing any new characters, the cursor jumps away from the save-as window to somewhere else (I don't know where). I have to then put the cursor back into the save-as window, click once, wait a minute, then click again. At that point I can make changes to the filename. This behavior doesn't usually happen with Word, but it does with Excel and everything else.

* I work with multiple monitors. I often have one program open in one window (e.g. Excel) and another program open in another window (e.g. Word), each one being in a different monitor. If I am working in Word and I want to do something in Excel, in the past I could click once in the Excel window at the point I want to start working, and immediately start working. Now, however, I must click in Excel, wait a second, then click at the point I want to work.

I believe that these changes were intentionally made to Windows 10, and they have unintentionally had the effect of slowing things down. If this was the only objection I had to Windows 10, it would be enough to keep me from installing it on my home computer.

Edit: I just now reread your post and I saw that you have Windows 10 on two computer, and that only one of those computers is slow. So the above may not apply to you.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2017-09-13 at 08:01.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post

* If I want to update an existing document with new information, then save it under a new name, that takes longer as well: I click Save As, I browse to the correct folder, and I click on an existing file, to load that filename into the save-as window. I then click on the filename and make changes to it (to result in a new filename for the new file). As soon as I start typing any new characters, the cursor jumps away from the save-as window to somewhere else (I don't know where). I have to then put the cursor back into the save-as window, click once, wait a minute, then click again. At that point I can make changes to the filename. This behavior doesn't usually happen with Word, but it does with Excel and everything else.

* I work with multiple monitors. I often have one program open in one window (e.g. Excel) and another program open in another window (e.g. Word), each one being in a different monitor. If I am working in Word and I want to do something in Excel, in the past I could click once in the Excel window at the point I want to start working, and immediately start working. Now, however, I must click in Excel, wait a second, then click at the point I want to work.
    Jim, my experience is different to yours. I don't have any such problem with save as (in Word or Excel). However I have Office 365 (Office 2016), so perhaps it's an Office version thing.
    And for the multiple windows, Excel (in my experience) has done this for a long time. The Excel team seem completely isolated from the rest of Office and Excel has quite a few differences. For example, you can select a row in Access and when you move to Excel you can still see the row selected. This doesn't work when going the other way. Been like this for years.
    Eliminate spare time: get on the Internet!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found that my W10 Laptop wanted to have its 'ownership' verified. Once I 'verified' it's ownership the actions have come inline with the other computers on the network.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Jim, my experience is different to yours. I don't have any such problem with save as (in Word or Excel). However I have Office 365 (Office 2016), so perhaps it's an Office version thing.
    And for the multiple windows, Excel (in my experience) has done this for a long time. The Excel team seem completely isolated from the rest of Office and Excel has quite a few differences. For example, you can select a row in Access and when you move to Excel you can still see the row selected. This doesn't work when going the other way. Been like this for years.
    Another irritant that I have discovered: sometimes (not very often, but often enough not to be a coincidence), if I highlight some text and then right-click on it to copy it, the highlight will disappear; I then have to highlight it again. It allows me to copy it the 2nd time I highlight it, but not the 1st time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    I found that my W10 Laptop wanted to have its 'ownership' verified. Once I 'verified' it's ownership the actions have come inline with the other computers on the network.
    mmi16, I'm glad you got the issue fixed, thanks for letting us know about the fix.
    Eliminate spare time: get on the Internet!