Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    wellston, oklahoma
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    equifax data breach

    The equifax data breach site says my info has probably been compromised. Is that valid? Do I need to do anything?
    Should I sign up for their monitoring service? Does anybody have any info on how to proceed?
    Raylon

  2. #2
    Silver Lounger RolandJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Austin metro area TX USA
    Posts
    1,914
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked 144 Times in 141 Posts
    Even though I am already signed up with and, have been monitoring with Costco's CSID, I did sign up with a 1YR freebie because of my ISDs that I sub for was briefly hacked. I simply twice or thrice weekly log in both of them, poke around, and if nothing amiss, log out. I also do likewise with my Chase checking & savings, credit card web sites.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

  3. #3
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    363
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 162 Times in 109 Posts
    There's a lot of information floating around, some of it inconsistent and most of it vague. For instance, AFAIK Equifax still isn't giving clear "yes" or "no" answers, just innuendo and steering everyone to their own monitoring service. I'm going to wait for the smoke to clear a bit. I think Equifax will be forced to be more forthcoming, and do more than they have so far.

    Meanwhile, here's a little light reading to think about:


    Keep in mind none of these people are experts. They only seem to be parroting what they heard elsewhere, so it's hard to gauge how factual or how alarmist they may be. In particular, though, note the warnings that accepting the free monitoring service may bar you from participating in any class-action settlements.

    I don't think Equifax is going to be able to get away with what little they've done so far, so I'm waiting for clearer/more from Equifax, and to hear from some real experts instead of just knee-jerk immediate responses. There seem to be more than one congressional probe starting, so even though those take a long time they may spur more immediate action or better information from Equifax.

    As for urgency, keep in mind the breach occurred half a year ago. So yeah, I'll have to figure out how to respond, but it's not likely to matter whether that's today or next week.

    As for credit monitoring services, keep in mind that helps only so far, and they're not always all they're advertised to be--see, for instance, "LifeLock accused of misleading consumers—again". And that's a paid third-party service, so how much are you going to trust the competency of a monitoring service run by the same people who lost your data in the first place?

    As far as I can tell, the best course of action seems to be to enable a credit freeze and wait for further info.

    Just my two cents. Looking forward to hear what others think.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to dg1261 For This Useful Post:

    Trev (2017-09-12)

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    5,105
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked 725 Times in 638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    As for urgency, keep in mind the breach occurred half a year ago.
    I thought it was a couple of months ago:

    The breach occurred between mid-May and July, Equifax said.

  6. #5
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    2,284
    Thanks
    330
    Thanked 245 Times in 200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I thought it was a couple of months ago:

    The breach occurred between mid-May and July, Equifax said.
    The article states July 29. They didn't mention the Equifax higher ups selling their Equifax stocks before announcing the breach on Sept. 7.
    As to me, I will probably do a credit freeze soon since I don't have a credit score ( I hate buying on credit ) but my bank account will be in their records.

  7. #6
    Silver Lounger lumpy95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mojave Desert CA
    Posts
    2,284
    Thanks
    330
    Thanked 245 Times in 200 Posts
    My recommendation ( and evidently dg1261's ) is wait, especially since this just came out:
    Equifax's credit report monitoring site is also vulnerable to hacking
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/equifax...le-to-hacking/

    Equifax's site used to set up credit account monitoring in the wake of last week's security breach is also vulnerable to hackers, ZDNet has learned.

    In the aftermath of the breach, the going recommendation has been to set up alerts and freezes on any and all credit accounts. Countless are thought to have flocked to the websites and the credit rating agency phone banks to protect themselves from hackers.

    The problem is that Equifax's site used to set up alerts on individual's credit rating history (which we are not linking to) can be easily spoofed, security researcher Martin Hall told ZDNet.

  8. #7
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    491
    Thanks
    236
    Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    There's a lot of information floating around, some of it inconsistent and most of it vague. For instance, AFAIK Equifax still isn't giving clear "yes" or "no" answers, just innuendo and steering everyone to their own monitoring service. I'm going to wait for the smoke to clear a bit. I think Equifax will be forced to be more forthcoming, and do more than they have so far.

    Meanwhile, here's a little light reading to think about:


    Keep in mind none of these people are experts. They only seem to be parroting what they heard elsewhere, so it's hard to gauge how factual or how alarmist they may be. In particular, though, note the warnings that accepting the free monitoring service may bar you from participating in any class-action settlements.

    I don't think Equifax is going to be able to get away with what little they've done so far, so I'm waiting for clearer/more from Equifax, and to hear from some real experts instead of just knee-jerk immediate responses. There seem to be more than one congressional probe starting, so even though those take a long time they may spur more immediate action or better information from Equifax.

    As for urgency, keep in mind the breach occurred half a year ago. So yeah, I'll have to figure out how to respond, but it's not likely to matter whether that's today or next week.

    As for credit monitoring services, keep in mind that helps only so far, and they're not always all they're advertised to be--see, for instance, "LifeLock accused of misleading consumers—again". And that's a paid third-party service, so how much are you going to trust the competency of a monitoring service run by the same people who lost your data in the first place?

    As far as I can tell, the best course of action seems to be to enable a credit freeze and wait for further info.

    Just my two cents. Looking forward to hear what others think.
    I agree with all you've stated here-good post.

  9. #8
    Super Moderator RetiredGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Manning, South Carolina
    Posts
    9,953
    Thanks
    422
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

    FYI: You need to do the credit freeze for both you and your significant other if you share credit! Yeah, 3 services x 2 people = 6 online procedures!

    Also worth noting some States allow them to charge you to both place and lift the freezes. Luckily, South Carolina is not one of them. Pennsylvania on the other hand it will cost you $10 each! Ouch!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

    RG

    PowerShell & VBA Rule!

    My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

  10. #9
    WS Lounge VIP access-mdb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    2,052
    Thanks
    169
    Thanked 195 Times in 187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    In particular, though, note the warnings that accepting the free monitoring service may bar you from participating in any class-action settlements.
    Snopes has an article about this. No whether you believe Snopes or not...
    Eliminate spare time: get on the Internet!

  11. #10
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pittsford,NY
    Posts
    970
    Thanks
    610
    Thanked 38 Times in 30 Posts
    In my opinion, Krebs' site has the best info about this Equifax mess and what to do:

    http://krebsonsecurity.com/

    Dick

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dick-Y For This Useful Post:

    dg1261 (2017-09-14)

  13. #11
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    491
    Thanks
    236
    Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts
    Equifax have now announced that they are waiving fees for credit-freezes for 30 days.

    http://lifehacker.com/equifax-is-wai...ays-1805663077

  14. #12
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    306
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I tried to set up credit freezes today, and all three companies' web sites seem to be overwhelmed. Two of the three said "Try again later".
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

  15. #13
    Super Moderator RetiredGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Manning, South Carolina
    Posts
    9,953
    Thanks
    422
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Equifax have now announced that they are waiving fees for credit-freezes for 30 days.

    http://lifehacker.com/equifax-is-wai...ays-1805663077
    How nice of them. Wait until you have to remove it after 30 days!

    Check out the chart that lists the fees by state, it's in the links.

    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

    RG

    PowerShell & VBA Rule!

    My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

  16. #14
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    363
    Thanks
    16
    Thanked 162 Times in 109 Posts
    Thanks, everyone. Lots of good info in this thread.

    Consensus seems to be to enable a security freeze at all credit bureaus as soon as you can. This may not be practical, however, if you're planning to open any new bank or credit accounts in the near future or making any big purchases (house, car, etc) that would entail a credit check.

    Credit monitoring can't hurt, but don't rely on it protecting you. However, beware this little tidbit I found in a FAQ following Dick-Y's link to Krebs:
    Can I have a freeze AND credit monitoring?

    Yes, you can. However, it may not be possible to sign up for credit monitoring services while a freeze is in place. My advice is to sign up for whatever credit monitoring may be offered for free, and then put the freezes in place.
    And review your own credit reports yourself periodically.


    Of course, this breach seems to be largely US-centric, but I did get a laugh out of this related story:
    Holden’s team of nearly 30 employees includes two native Argentinians who spent some time examining Equifax’s South American operations online after the company disclosed the breach involving its business units in North America.

    It took almost no time for them to discover that an online portal designed to let Equifax employees in Argentina manage credit report disputes from consumers in that country was wide open, protected by perhaps the most easy-to-guess password combination ever: “admin/admin.”
    C'mon now, that just defies credibility!

  17. #15
    WS Lounge VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    9,013
    Thanks
    63
    Thanked 1,117 Times in 1,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dg1261 View Post
    C'mon now, that just defies credibility!
    How many data breaches have their been? No surprise at all!

    cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •