New Lounger
    Thanks

Sporadic No Internet connexion

I get sporadeous messages that I don't have any internet connexion from Edge and less often fro chrome. Usuall I get the page if I refresh the screen.
    It seems that some timer is set too short. What can I do ?

I have an internet box with 4 100 Meg connectores and we measure 10 Mbit/s
    I have two netgear gigabit switches to supply different parts of the house one connected to the box and the other in series with the first. My kid is directly on the first switch and playing games .
    My own computer is on the second swith and only displays as a 100 M connection. I have to change to a CA 6 cable bu I'll have to redo the connector so I didn't do it.

Started to play with the QoS settings and I might set my kid to medium and myself to high.
    But I'm wondering is there some timer that I could just make a bit more patient in internet settings of windows ?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by metramo; 2017-09-30 at 06:12.

Thanks
    I assume that you mean spontaneous? The Sporades are Greek islands. Please provide examples of the messages.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did I missspell? I don't mean spontaneous I mean sporadeous = now and then, maybe the word is spuradeaous

Thanks
    I think the word you require is sporadic
    Eliminate spare time: get on the Internet!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Exactly Now if you're a moderator, maybe we should eraze this exchange not to scare of they guy who can answer me

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 1,048 Posts
    There is a nice batch file that will monitor your internet connection in this post.
    https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/post/3411621
    Don't forget to create / change the directory where the log file is created and don't run it for too long 'cause it will create a large file.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Do the sporadic 'No internet' messages on your PC coincide directly with the times when your kid is using his/her PC/laptop?

Conversely, do the 'No internet' messages appear when your kid's PC/laptop is switched off?

PS - You shouldn't need CAT6 cabling. It's more likely that the network adapter in your PC is a 100Mbps model. Even so, if the download speed from your ISP is 10Mbps then the speed of your internet connection is governed by this, especially as it's shared between multiple devices.

Thanks
    Plug your computer directly into a router port. If possible, connect each switch directly to a router port, rather than plugging in one switch to another; you'll get a more equal distribution of bandwidth for all other Ethernet-connected devices in that way. Then move your kid (and everyone else) to one of the switches. That will give you the fastest connection on the network - you will have 1/3 of the bandwidth - and everyone else will evenly share the remaining 2/3 of the bandwidth. (Wifi devices will share on the top level, so if you have any wifi devices, the numbers will change.) And yes, you should throttle your kid's internet connection with QoS, while leaving your own wide open.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2017-10-04 at 12:33.