New Lounger
    Thanks

don't understand how to set up my iphone for sending emails

I got a new iphone 7 and managed to set up the icloud account without issues. I also have a few other accounts that I would like to set up and these are from different domains ( home isp & work). The accounts can receive emails fine but sending emails only works when using wifi. If I am using data, the emails just go to my outbox and get stuck there with an error message about the server not allowing relaying. I googled this message but still could not work out how to set this up properly.
    I have entered the relevant smtp settings for the outgoing server correctly but I am wondering why would I have to enter those of my home isp or work domain when any data would be via my phone data plan? Do I need to put the same identical outgoing smtp info for all accounts as any emails will only be sent via data of my phone (unless wifi) and the other details are irrelevant? However I also don't understand why the icloud account does not have that issue. Under what circumstances will the smtp server for the work email actually used?
    Sorry, I am really confused - so any help would be great.
    Sandy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 1,048 Posts
    You need an outgoing server for each email account - most email programs have one default and you need to add others as required. I expect your phone is similar.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Paul. Given my normal setup on a pc I fully understand that. I am just confused how this relates to my phone setup. Given that in order to connect to the internet on my phone via data (ie myphone plan) should the outgoing smtp not be the phone carrier's server irrespective of the email account?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 1,048 Posts
    You must use the outgoing server owned by your email provider. No-one else is authorized to send email from their domain - doing so is the realm of spammers and is actively blocked by mail servers (it's called open relay).

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Most likely you just need to select the default email account
    just go to accounts, select your email provider, enter login info and email servers and you are good to go
    ios11-iphone7-settings-accounts-passwords-add-mail-account.jpg

then select the default email account
    Mail-app-iphone-default-screens-01.jpeg