New Lounger
    Thanks

issue with Secondary DNS AD?

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the issue im having. this week migrated the Secondary DNS server from hardware to a VM then booting it up took a while and when i wanted to see the AD showed me the error about cannot contact the primary DNS, whats odd i can nslookup perfect. to fix the issue i had to run these commands in order
    Code:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    net stop netlogon
    net start netlogon
    and after that it works and i can open the AD with the sites and services, but when it reboots it takes an eternity and that's when i know again it wont open the AD

sorry for the Spanish pictures

any ideas?

I was thinking to take it out of the domain and put it back in, but not sure how it will affect because its the secondary DNS.

My primary DNS is called Zeus which is 192.168.3.253 and the secundary DNS is called Poseidon which is 192.168.6.200 there connected though pfSense Site to Site openVPN
    Clipboarder.2017.09.29-003.pngClipboarder.2017.09.29-004.pngClipboarder.2017.09.30-004.pngClipboarder.2017.10.04-004.png
    Thank you

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,125 Times in 1,048 Posts
    Double posting without notice is frowned upon. See Rule 14.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...ondary-dns-ad/

If you still need help let us know.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Double posting without notice is frowned upon. See Rule 14.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...ondary-dns-ad/

If you still need help let us know.

cheers, Paul
    Hi Paul,
    Thank you for the reply, I did not know that windowssecrets has association with bleeping computer, as its not double posting because i have posted it on spiceworks, reddit, and other help forums and no one seems to have the answer to this. Which i find it odd because im sure this has happened to other Sys admins.
    I would gladly change or paraphrase differently so it wont look like double posting.

Thank you

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 1,046 Posts
    The better term is cross-posting. Please read our rule #14. It is irrelevant whether WSL has a relationship with any or all of the places you mentioned. Cross posting without letting everyone know you are posting in other forums is generally frowned upon. It can be a waste of time and effort for those responding. Everyone who does this does it as a volunteer. Please respect that.
    Joe