Star Lounger
    Thanks

problems with youtube in FF 56

Ever since I upgraded to FF 56 (64 bit on Win 7) I noticed I am having issues playing youtube clips , e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uau4...BqnMtQ74IJW0uT Either nothing happens or the clip plays but I am having no sound. Interestingly, using Palemoon I have no problems. I suspect it has something to do with how the browsers deal with Flash but don't see any pop-up or error message asking me to allow something. Under Plug-ins I see Shockwave Flash 27 installed - asking to play.
    What am I missing?

Thanks
    I was under the impression that YouTube doesn't use Flash any more - it's the HTML5 player. I don't have any problems playing and listening to that video on FF 56 (other than I don't like opera - perhaps we could ask Bob Dylan to record it!)
    Eliminate spare time: start programming PowerShell

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure what is causing this - flash was just a guess. Is there a setting for the HTML5 player I need to access first? I am quite happy to test this on some Dylan music.

Thanks
    I looked up 'HTML5 player settings' on Google - got a Youtube page with a warning about FF and the OS, and also how to report your issue. If you Google that string there may be other pages that might help. Sorry I can't be of more help here.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have no problem with that clip (and I like opera, which is a bonus). I have FF56.0 running on Windows 10, so could it be that version 56 introduced something which Windows 7 does not like? Anything in Event Viewer? I don't believe that Flash is involved, because I have it set to "Ask to activate" and it didn't ask.

Thanks
    Also no problem with FF running the clip. It is HTML5. Have you any add or tracker blockers running or any other extensions/add ons which may be causing this problem?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Strange - I am using a hostfile but that only affects google adserver on the main page and should not be browserspecific. In FF I am also using UBlock Origin but even disabling makes no difference. Palemoon, Chrome and IE all run this without problem. So of course I can always fire up one of the other browsers but since FF is my prime browser, I would prefer to watch this in FF. I am wondering if my OS 7/64 bit handles FF 56 differently than you Win10?

Thanks
    What are your results when checking the Youtube HTML5 page (https://www.youtube.com/html5)?

Can you opt-in to HTML5 as the default there, or are you already?

Edit: fixed broken URL (thanks, access-mdb).
    Last edited by satrow; 2017-10-14 at 05:19.

Thanks
    Satrow, you've included the )? at the end of the link so it gives a 404 - removing it gets the correct page.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

satrow (2017-10-14)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    What are your results when checking the Youtube HTML5 page (https://www.youtube.com/html5)?

Can you opt-in to HTML5 as the default there, or are you already?
    Everything on this page comes up with a blue tick mark except for MSE & WebM VP9

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry about the delay but was busy with other things and switched to Chrome when the need for youtube clips came up.

Today I again wanted to look for a solution, so got out my laptop to compare - running the latest FF version 56.0.2 / 64 bit on both systems though the problem system (pc) is running Win 7. The laptop has Win 10.
    Then I checked my laptop does not even have flash installed, so uninstalled flash from pc. PC was running ublocko - first disabled, then as this made no difference removed, then uninstalled and reinstalled a fresh version of FF just in case ublocko still had some lasting influence - no difference.
    Host file has been disabled though as the issue does not affect Chrome, it should not have anything to do with Hostfile anyway.
    Then disabled first Malwarebytes, then NOD in case either of these had some protection kicking in here - again no effect.

My test video today was from the Washington Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.abf3d5d1d3d6 and while the video played (started much slower than on Chrome), I could not get any sound.

I really don't know what is causing the issue, nothing else on my pc should interfer, I am running the same version of FF without add-ons, basically FF out of the box. Is there any additional setting within FF that may have been turned off by accident or intentionally in the past and that is still effective even though I reinstalled FF?
    Can anyone think of anything else that may affect "only FF" or that is specific to Win7?

I know I can always open Chrome to check on a clip but it's not very convenient or I could switch back to Chrome but at the moment I actually prefer FF.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you otherwise get any sound from Firefox? If not, you haven't by any chance muted Firefox in the Volume Mixer (see below)?
    VolumeMixer.jpg

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mo, that was a clever thought - Just checked and radio stations also have no sound on FF but work fine in Chrome. Checking via sound volume though does not show any mute, the sound bar is almost at the top, so need to research further into sound issues with FF.