Thanks

iOS 11 now hides device MAC from 3rd-party apps

I missed any mention of this prior to installing iOS 11 on my Apple devices. It wasn't until I used Fing today to do a scan that it became apparent.

Whilst this doesn't really affect the detection of devices that Fing has already scanned in the past, it does make it more difficult for Fing to determine new Apple devices that are attached to the network you are scanning. Poo!

Fing running on iOS11
    fing-new.png
    Click to enlarge

Fing now asks if you want to use IP identification.
    fing-switch-to-ip-identification.png
    Click to enlarge

Fing running on Android
    fing-android.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,128 Times in 1,051 Posts
    Surely if you use Fing on a non-apple device it will show the MAC?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Surely if you use Fing on a non-apple device it will show the MAC?
    I only have one Android device to test (a Samsung Galaxy Tab running Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean) and - as my 3rd screenshot shows in post #1 - the MAC of the iOS device isn't shown. However, nor is the Samsung's own MAC so I have no idea whether it's just that FING on Android is less capable than on iOS.

I suspect that it's because the 'interrogation' time is self-limited, i.e. if not determined within a short amount of time then give up and move on to the next device.

There are 2 reasons why I believe this may be the case. One is that my iPhone (also running iOS11) wasn't picked up at all by Fing on the Android tablet despite my iPhone being next to my iPad at the time. The second reason is because the MACs of iOS devices are still shown when using, for example, Softperfect Network Scanner. However, look at the differences in the response times. Softperfect's Network Scanner (the last of its free portable versions) seems to keep searching until it has found the information it wanted, including the MACs.

softperfect network scanner portable.png
    Click to enlarge

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The MAC is always sent as part of the network packet so it should be reported by any software. Maybe Fing is just being lazy.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T
    The MAC is always sent as part of the network packet so it should be reported by any software. Maybe Fing is just being lazy.
    Fing used to show the MACs of my iOS devices just fine until I upgraded to iOS 11. Here's a screenshot of it on iOS 10.3.3:
    fing-on-ios-10.png
    Click to enlarge

As Fing explains in its blog post:

The Fing network scanner does not show MAC addresses on iOS 11. The reason for this is that iOS 11 has blocked any app from accessing MAC addresses in the ARP table of the iPhone’s Operating System (iOS). Therefore, MAC addresses can no longer be captured during a network scan performed on an iPhone.
    Network Tools Alliance have created a Save Networking Tools on iOS 11 petition on change.org as a result of the change in iOS 11.

However, I'm pretty sure there's been a change to Fing as well. Since I just upgraded Fing on all devices, iOS and Android, to v6.21, Fing now only shows the device name for iOS devices, irrespective of whether it's running on Android, iOS 11 or iOS 10.3.3.

Hope this helps...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Seems Fing is being petulant!

cheers, Paul