5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2016 - 64 bit

Our MS rep suggested that we consider Office 2016 64 bit because of the memory leaks we are experiencing with 32 bit.

We have many VBA projects to update. Right way, I see that MSCOMCT2.OCX is not available for 64 bit, and we use the date picker a lot. Does anyone know of a suitable product that will provide similar functionality?

Also, we use the File System Object in SCRRUN.DLL. Does this DLL function with Office 2016? If not, is there are suitable substitute?

Many thanks.
    Richard

Thanks
    If you are experiencing demonstrable memory leaks in Office 2016 x32 then isn't it up to MS to fix the leaks instead of you having to change the way you work? Shouldn't your MS rep be escalating your problems through MS support on your behalf rather than avoiding the issue by suggesting the x64 version?

Memory leaks isn't one of the reasons mentioned on Microsoft's Choose between the 64-bit or 32-bit version of Office page. Or am I missing something here?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe you're correct that MS should be fixing the problem. But it is a real problem and I have found lots of discussions on the web. Our users' screen go blank for 3 - 4 minutes and then resolve, during which time users cannot work. Other businesses that I talk to have no problems at all. I would not expect MS to advertise the fact that memory leaks occurs, but the MS rep has acknowledged the fact. Apparently it has been a problem since Office 2010.

MS offers the following as a reason to choose 32 bit Office:
    You use 32-bit controls with no 64-bit alternative. You can continue to run 32-bit controls in 32-bit Office like Microsoft Windows Common Controls (Mscomctl.ocx, comctl.ocx), or any existing 3rd-party 32-bit controls.
    Last edited by richardbarrett; 2017-10-21 at 17:33.