New Lounger
    Thanks

how does 2016 compare to 2013

Hi all

I am 'Mega-mad' with Microsoft, and everyone posting 'so-called' informative pages onto the web, because as the title here will suggest, nowhere is there a site detailing the comparison in Word 2013/16 which I am wanting to read up on.

I have a big Word 2013 document which randomly crashes (I understand this can't be helped and was no big deal the first few times); but every Word user will agree that crashes at one point become infuriating. I am highly curious to know if I go ahead and upgrade to Office 2016, will Word continue to crash at the same rate and is crashing even addressed by Microsoft.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    There is any number of possible causes of crashes, including faulty Windows installations, faulty Office installations, faulty 3rd-party addins and corrupted documents and their templates. Simply changing Office versions is unlikely to remedy most of those issues. You need to identify the source of the problem and fix that. What have you actually done to resolve the existing issues?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramerica View Post
    I have a big Word 2013 document which randomly crashes (I understand this can't be helped
    Word has been a core business tool for me for decades, which wouldn't be the case if it crashed randomly. So something isn't right with your installation, as Paul says. Some quick things to try:

1. Disable all add-ins. If that stops the crashes, enable them one at a time until you identify the culprit.
    2. Save the file with a different name, and use the new one going forward.
    3. Open a new blank doc based on the same template as the crashy one, and paste the entire contents into the new doc. Save and use going forward.
    4. Defrag your HD if you haven't done so recently.
    5. Do a repair reinstall of Word.

Some extra info about the crashy doc would help:
    How big is "big", and what's your RAM and HD free space sizes?
    What kind of media does it have in it [images, audio etc]? Is all the media embedded, or is some linked to?
    Does it crash daily, monthly, what?

Fyi
    What's new and improved in Office 2016
    Nice summaries, click on each program for it's article.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 4TB HD

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    By way of reply to the original question, for the benefit of readers who were drawn to that, I suggest you google topics like the following: ‘Office 2016 features’, ‘Office 2016 comparison’, ‘Office 2016 review’ and ‘Office 2016 problem’.

What matters is what matters to the individual user. You may not know nor care whether a given setup supports Type 1 fonts, or it may matter greatly to you. You may never have heard of a waterfall diagram, or it may be a major selling point. You may not have any interest in collaboration. And so on...

Thanks
    You could try out Office 2016 for free -- Microsoft Office Online. Go there, get a Word 2016 session going, and open a copy of your document (not the original). See how it does.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

dogberry (2017-11-14)

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Compared to the real thing, Office Online is crippleware and won't tell you anything of consequence about the differences between the desktop versions of Word 2013 and Word 2016.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]