Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Refilling ink cartridges - recommendations

I have a Canon Pixma MG2922 printer/scanner/copier. I'm looking to start refilling my ink cartridges, rather than buying new ones, because I know I will save a lot of money doing so. And I figure if I mess up my printer in the process, no loss, because I paid $32 for it!

Does anyone have experience with refilling Canon ink cartridges (black is #245 and color is #246), or with refilling any ink cartridges? If so, I would appreciate it if you could answer some questions:
    • What issues should I be aware of when doing this?
    • Can you recommend a place in the US, or perhaps Amazon or Ebay, where I can buy the refill kit?
    • Does the quality of ink vary from vendor to vendor?
    • What tools and other materials do I need?

Thank you for your help.

Jim

Thanks
    I've had good luck with compatible carts from Meritline. I've got a Pixma MX922 that I sometime go a month between printing and Meritliine carts don't clog. You can get a full set of carts for your printer for $7.00 here:
    https://www.meritline.com/canon-cli-...--p-29252.aspx

At that price it's not worth messing with refilling.

Jerry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2017-11-08)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    At that price it's not worth messing with refilling.
    I certainly agree with that statement!
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    Good prices Jerry. I see that HP cartridges ( which I use ) are "Remanufactured". Just curious if there are any problems with that process. They are a whole lot cheaper so it is probably worth trying the next time I need cartridges.
    Seems to be a lot of differing opinions on the page for the 950/951 cartridges.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2017-11-08 at 14:17.

Thanks
    I don't have any experience with remanufactured carts, so I can't comment. Thats one reason why I avoid HP inkjets.

Jerry

Thanks
    Michael Lasky had a good article in WS a couple of years ago:
    Remedies for common printer pains

Highlights:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lasky
    Remedy 1: Four ways to reducing ink costs
    ◾Don’t turn off your printer.
    ◾Set your printer preferences to “Draft” mode as the default.
    ◾Don’t change the existing cartridge unless you absolutely have to
    ◾If you rarely need color printing, consider getting a laser printer.
    Be very selective with off-brand ink cartridges
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lasky
    we’re not really buying ink from printer manufacturers, we’re buying printers from ink companies
    I only use a printer for light business use, so I've rarely had an inkjet, and with color laser so cheap these days [<$150], I doubt I'll have one in future. I always buy a spare toner cartridge with a new laser printer, and then buy a cheap new printer when the toner runs out--it's always been cheaper that way, plus advances my printer tech by a step each time.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 4TB HD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2017-11-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    I always buy a spare toner cartridge with a new laser printer, and then buy a cheap new printer when the toner runs out--it's always been cheaper that way, plus advances my printer tech by a step each time.
    My printer cost $32 at Walmart, so it would be cheaper to simply buy another printer rather than a set of cartridges.

I'm going to try the refill option and see how that works out - it will be far cheaper than any other option.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    My printer cost $32 at Walmart, so it would be cheaper to simply buy another printer rather than a set of cartridges.

I'm going to try the refill option and see how that works out - it will be far cheaper than any other option.
    Not if you buy them from Meritline at the link I gave in post 2. I used to refill before I found Meritline and found it can be a messy process. Sooner or later you will get ink where you don't want it and it is very difficult to clean. If you do decide to go ahead, make sure you use gloves as it can take days to get ink off your hands.

Jerry

Thanks
    Not if you buy them from Meritline at the link I gave in post 2. I used to refill before I found Meritline and found it can be a messy process. Sooner or later you will get ink where you don't want it and it is very difficult to clean. If you do decide to go ahead, make sure you use gloves as it can take days to get ink off your hands.

Jerry
    Thanks for the tip. I checked the link you put, plus I searched the Meritline website, and the cartridges for my printer are almost what I would pay for new cartridges. Apparently they don't have a good deal on mine (Canon 245/246).
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2017-11-13 at 16:09.

Thanks
    Sorry about that. Your original post said you had a Canon Pixma MG2922 and Meritline had cheap carts for that.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post

To expand on my earlier brief response (in post #3), I've had good experiences using Stratitec Inkjet Ink Refill Kits. I don't recall ever having used any other brand. You can check them out here.

In the past I've bought Stratitec Refill Kits at SamsClub and from Amazon. I have not refilled any cartridges in the last two years.
    I noticed tonight when doing an online search that there seem to be more brands available now than back when I was interested.
    In my experience kits come with thorough directions. I simply decided that refilling my cartridges wasn't worth the potential mess (which I often made).
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

Thanks
    Sorry about that. Your original post said you had a Canon Pixma MG2922 and Meritline had cheap carts for that.

Jerry
    For my printer, Meritline has a black cartridge for $16.95 and a color cartridge for $20.95. That's about $38.00 for the pair.

https://www.meritline.com/newsearch....n+pixma+mg2922

Walmart sells them new for $17.97 (black) and $22.97 (color).

Meritline sells the pair in XL format and remanufactured for $41.95, which is a good price compared to the price of new cartridges, but it's not a spectacular price like what they sell your cartridges for.

Thanks
    Looking over the ink cartridges and seeing vastly different pricing I got to wondering ....
    And looking at the cartridges for jim's printer it would appear they are actually print heads, the ink is delivered to the paper directly from the cartridge. Looking at the top of those cartridges you will see the orifices through which the ink is projected towards the paper. The cheaper ones for jerry's machine may be only reservoirs for ink that is delivered via a separate ink head. I could well imagine that assuring the orifices of a rebuilt print head are to spec and clean would be vastly more labor than flushing and filling a reservoir with ink. IIRC once upon a time the reason many chose an HP inkjet is that the replacement cartridges INCLUDED the print head as that was a frequent point of failure.

as an aside how prices have changed on printers, I recall spending $300 on a used HP laserjet 4m. Now I could buy a fleet!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    David, I believe you're right - the printhead is part of the ink cartridge. This means that the more times I refill the same cartridge, the sooner the printhead will get clogged or go bad in some way.

My thought is that when that happens, I can just buy another cheap printer/scanner/copier from Walmart.com (this one was $32), and then refill those cartridges as needed till they go bad.

I understand that I'll have to drill holes in the top of the cartridges -- one in the black cartridge, and three in the color cartridge -- in order to get the ink into the cartridge. I figure that once I have the holes drilled, it will be easy from that point forward to refill the cartridges, if I take my time and am careful.

I'm looking for any way I can to save money. This could save me a lot, because I haven't been able to find a deal on refilled cartridges like Jerry has found with Meritline.

Thanks
    Here's what I ended up doing:

I ordered the following refill kit for $7.75, with free shipping:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used my drill, rather than the handheld drill bit which came with the kit, to drill the holes in the top of the cartridges.

There were no instructions included with the refill kit, so I watched the following very helpful video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGJ4l5_G6nk

After filling the cartridges, I ran a cleaning cycle on them. I then set them to CMYK color model.

The print quality and the accuracy of the colors is superb.

Now that I have drilled the holes and gone through the process, it will be a five-minute job in the future to refill them.

Update:

The color started printing bad, as if it was almost out of ink. Then the out of ink code flashed, and the printer wouldn't print. I held down the STOP PRINT button until the error quit flashing, and now it prints fine.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2017-11-22 at 15:45. Reason: added update

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast