Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Updates

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Latest Updates

Some of you might have noticed that I dropped off from actively posting in the Lounge over the summer. Good news is I didn't die. :-)

This summer has been one event-filled summer, and things are beginning to slowly settle down as I approach the Thanksgiving and Christmas season.

Earlier in the summer, I moved back to a Mac (I couldn't endure the firmware issues and Windows 10 issues on my Surface Book any longer). I moved back to my old 2011 iMac, and I'll be upgrading to a new iMac Pro early next year. I also went back to using an iPad (iPad Pro) full time, and I'm keeping my iPhone, Apple Watch, Apple TV, etc, and I've just about migrated everything back into iCloud/Apple's ecosystem. I tossed my old Microsoft account and created a new account for Skype-only, and Skype is about the only Microsoft product I've been actively using (I ditched Office and use Nota Bene for academic writing, Nisus Writer Pro for a replacement to Word, Pages for page-layout documents more of a Publisher replacement, and Mellel when I need to sync documents between my Mac and iPad. I'm also integrating Scrivener into my workflow. I use Numbers and Keynote for spreadsheets and presentations). I dramatically reduced my dependency on SaaS over the summer and use as much built-in apps as possible and smaller third-party apps only if they're criticial for my workflow.

I also transitioned my web hosting for my clients over to MacAce in the UK (a few more hosting issues arose, and MacAce has offered my clients similar pricing and a larger support team and overall better uptime and reliability over our previous host), and I have a couple more clients I'll be transitioning over to them to finish up the migrations.

I also dissolved my IT company (Mallard Computer) at the end of October (I'll still handle web maintence for a handful of clients personally) so I could focus on an upcoming PhD program, plus I merged my weather community blog (WeatherQuack) under WeatherTogether so I wouldn't have to be the full-time one man support show on it and give my bloggers a more established place to continue blogging about the weather, freeing myself up to focus on what I need to get done.

I will remain a member of the Lounge, and since I'm back in the Mac/iOS/Apple world and have been fully brought up-to-speed with everything, it's my turn to give back to the Lounge community. Any Apple-related questions that hit the community or are posted in the Non Windows OS section of the site, I'll be happy to chime in and offer my Apple wisdom. I'm also available if anyone needs to PM me for Apple knowledge.

The good news is I'm alive, I'm back in business on the Lounge, and while I won't have any more Windows-related questions I need assistance with (unless I have friends ask me and I don't know them), for those who become stumped in the Apple world, let me know. I'm here to give back and offer my Apple know-how to fellow Loungers as a thank you for all of your assistance when I was in the Windows world.
    Nathan Parker

Visit my weather blog at: http://weathertogether.net

Thanks
    Good to have you back.

Like you, I have moved away from Windows. I moved to Linux. Currently on Mint -- that's probably where I'll stay.

I haven't entirely abandoned Windows - I have Windows 7 installed in a VM in Linux, which allows me to do the two things I haven't been able to do in Linux: use my Canon scanner, and use my Yellow Pages scraper program.

I'm sure your Apple expertise will come in handy here at WSL.

Good luck on your PhD program.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2017-11-13)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds good about being on Linux. I tried Linux once and loved it, but there's too much I do where I need another "commercial" OS instead of Linux. macOS will be the ideal replacement since I can still run enough of my apps (or find solid enough Mac replacements) plus I can still geek around with a UNIX command line. I love Linux for servers though.

So far I'm not running Windows on a VM since the handful of programs I'd use that require Windows are either not worth firiing up Windows for, or they run decently in WINE/CrossOver where I can run them without Windows (since the developers offer supported versions of their apps in WINE/CrossOver). A school I'll be working for has gone all iMacs which will help with integrating into my workflow.

Looking forward to remaining a member here and offering my Mac knowledge. You'll love Linux Mint. A friend of mine uses it and loves it as well.
    Nathan Parker

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nathan Parker For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2017-11-14)

Thanks
    I didn't want to go the WINE route, because I don't want to mix Windows (with its vulnerabilities) with Linux. I'd rather run Windows in a VM, so as to keep it separate from Linux.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2017-11-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wouldn't personally run WINE/CrossOver standalone and run Windows apps on it (if I needed to run a bunch of Windows apps on my Mac, I'd definitely use a VM). The apps I'm using are packaged as Mac apps (although uses WINE/CrossOver as the backend) and offers full support from the developers. I have antivirus on my Mac as a backup in case there's a vulnerability, but I'm only using this method for two apps that are more niche apps, so I hope I'll be OK.
    Nathan Parker

Thanks
    This thread seems to have some good points and is worth keeping. Shoiuldn't it be moved to somewhere more appropriate (Other OSs say) as the threads in test are deleted at regular intervals. Or they were at least.
    Eliminate spare time: start programming PowerShell

10. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2017-11-15)

Thanks
    Were you gone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Parker View Post
    I'm here to give back and offer my Apple know-how to fellow Loungers as a thank you for all of your assistance when I was in the Windows world.
    That's decent of you, and good to have you back … if you really were gone.

Stay in touch with Windows knowledge. I wouldn't bank on Apple keeping the Mac going forever—it's a small part of revenue and profits, and as far as I know there's very little R&D going on in it in a time of significant R&D increases for Apple as a whole.

Macs are a mid-range PC, and that's often a dangerous perch in business—some surprise and you get squeezed from both the low- and high-end. Strategically I don't see Mac in Apple's plans, all their momentum seems to be towards fashion electronics, which have the huge advantage of being cyclable every 6-12 months, as long as the company keeps its cachet.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Dell Alienware Aurora R6 (new 2017)
    Windows 10 Home x64 1709; Office 365 x32
    GeForce GTX 1060; 16GB DDR4 2400
    256G SSD, 4TB HD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lugh For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2017-11-15)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I wasn't sure where to post this which is why I posted it here. The admins are welcome to archive this somewhere if they want to keep the points of this thread.

While I won't have full-time access to a Windows PC anytime in my near future, the school computer lab I'll be working with has some Windows PC's I could use to keep my Windows knowledge current. I myself have been worried about the future of the Mac with Apple, although Apple uses the Mac as a way to drive iOS development (while Swift is open source, Xcode is Mac only). While Apple could always release Xcode for Windows and kill off the Mac entirely, keeping it tied to the Mac has allowed Apple to make money off of iOS developers by requiring they purchase a Mac. Apple has made some missteps with the Mac, but the iMac Pro looks pretty solid and Apple's iMac releases this year have been well.
    Nathan Parker

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Firstly I'm glad things are going well for you in the Apple world.

My experience is different; I couldn't be more pleased with Windows 10, my experience has been generally painless and currently, on my two machines, everything just works.

Both my machines originally came with Windows 8 and now on the latest Win 10 build, they are far quicker/snappier than they were out of the box.

With all the initial bad press that Microsoft got about Win 10, I thought I'd have to migrate to Apple, but so far there has been no need.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Trev For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2017-11-16)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Firstly I'm glad things are going well for you in the Apple world.

My experience is different; I couldn't be more pleased with Windows 10, my experience has been generally painless and currently, on my two machines, everything just works.

Both my machines originally came with Windows 8 and now on the latest Win 10 build, they are far quicker/snappier than they were out of the box.

With all the initial bad press that Microsoft got about Win 10, I thought I'd have to migrate to Apple, but so far there has been no need.
    Trev: I'm really glad to hear of someone who is doing so well with Windows 10. I don't like it myself, but I think it's great that you do.

Question: Have any of the updates been problematic for you? Sounds like they haven't.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Trev:
    Question: Have any of the updates been problematic for you? Sounds like they haven't.
    Thanks, Jim...I seem to remember that the Creators earlier this year caused a few slowing issues at first, but generally I've been trouble free.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trev For This Useful Post:

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm glad someone has had great success with Windows 10. I was hoping spending top dollar on a Microsoft-controlled hardware would make my Windows 10 experience better, but it seems Microsoft hasn't cracked it yet. I've heard from someone who really studied up on the first-gen Surface Book that Microsoft made some flaws by jumping on some hardware before waiting to see which issues would arise from them which was a major cause of the firmware issues I had.
    Nathan Parker

Thanks
    I upgraded two of my desktops and my laptop from Win7 to Win10 in July 2016 (non-insider). Had to do some fiddling at first, mostly to do with settings for my network, but since then no real problems.

Also have been running Win10 Insider Preview on a third desktop since about September 2015; have had a few issues but nothing really serious.

Have seen pretty much the same on almost all (several dozen at least) customers' desktops & laptops. Once Win10 is set up correctly it looks after itself very well.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    Confuscius said: "no use running harder if you're on the wrong road" and "any problem once correctly understood is already half-solved".

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Nathan Parker (2017-11-17)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad it is running solid for you. It seems if you use non-Microsoft hardware, you get a better Windows experience (with the exception of Dell). :-)
    Nathan Parker

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Once Win10 is set up correctly it looks after itself very well.
    I wonder if the cause of many of the Windows 10 complaints is that it simply isn't set up correctly?

At my job, about a year ago we got Windows 10 laptops (we had Windows 7 laptops). And in the process, we got MS Office 2016 (we had 2010). We are doing exactly the same work as before, accessing the exact same documents as before; but Office is a lot slower now. Anytime you save something, it seems to go through more steps, which slows things down. And most irritating, if you have two windows open, you can no longer click and work in another window; you first have to click, wait a second, then click again, to start working in another window. (The two windows are in two different monitors; not sure if that has something to do with it.) I am coming to the conclusion that the click-wait-click problem is with Office, not Windows, because we use Remedy, and this problem doesn't happen with Remedy.

I wonder if things could be set up differently to overcome these issues?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast