Star Lounger
    Thanks

Quicken 2017 Account Reconciliation

Hello Everyone -

Once again Quicken is not behaving itself. I have the 2017 version of premier, and I can't get the reconciliation cash balance to agree with reality in one of my IRA investment accounts. I've tried adjusting the cash balance to that on the statement (and in the register), but that value seems to be ignored when the next reconciliation cycle takes place. When the reconciliation window first opens, the opening cash balance shown is always incorrect (and always by the same amount). If I look at the balance on the register though, the value is correct and agrees with the paper statement. At the end of the reconciliation effort, quicken offers to make an adjustment. The software won't allow accepting/ignoring the "error." Accepting the offer inserts an error into the register. If I compare the register with the paper statement, they always agree, the reconciliation window itself is what's messed up. I've tried accepting the error and then deleting the item in the register, but the next reconciliation effort ends up in the same story. If anyone has experienced this and has the solution, I would be most grateful hearing it. Thanks.

Casey H.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Casey: This is just a guess but I've had similar problems in the check register when I've recorded transactions just about the time of the next statement cycle with the wrong date. Do all of your transactions have the correct date? When I find the errant transaction and fix the date, I'm able to reconcile the account. Why I record transactions with the wrong date is another story.

Rob

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rob. I believe they do. At least all of the entries are prior to the date I put in the box for reconciliation. The mismatch has been there for several years following a rollover from one account to another. The error is always the same amount. I've tried various combinations of insertions and deletions and can't trick Quicken into accepting what's actually correct. Again, my register and the paper statement always match. It's the reconciliation window that's in error. Subsequently it asks if I want to make an adjustment to make things match. Accepting the adjustment doesn't make things match. If I accept the adjustment, the paper statement and the register no longer agree. What needs to take place is to reject the adjustment offer and close things out then and there, but the software doesn't allow that. You would think that adjusting the cash balance would set things straight, but alas.

Casey H.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Casey: Have you tried the Quicken community support forum? I've had good results with getting questions answered there. And you reconciliation window problem sounds exactly like what happens when I fat-finger a date. Oh well...hope you get to the bottom of it. Quicken does seem to have a mind of its own at times.

Is this a carryover from a previous version of Quicken or did it show up since Quicken 2017?

Rob