New Lounger
    Thanks

File opens with hundreds of blank pages

Our company has finally migrated from Word 2010 to Word 2013.
    Now we are having issues where if a document was created from our 2013 template (dotx) and someone with only 2010 uses it. the next time the file is opened it has hundreds of blank pages. The only way to get it back is to save it as a .doc again and make sure the "keep compatibility" option is checked (which it always is already checked). The last instance I noticed it seemed to throw each line of text on a separate page way at the bottom of the edge of the page on top of the header area. No way to edit it. I had found something on the internet before regarding this glitch but now I cant find any info about it. I would like to know if there is a way to keep this from happening or at least be able to explain to people why it's happening and tell them the only way to correct it is by saving back as .doc.

thanks!
    Shookme

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    That seems to suggest either a faulty Office 2013 template and/or a faulty Office 2010/2013 installation.

The first thing to do would be to try repairing the Office installation on both platforms (via Windows Control Panel > Programs > Programs & Features > Microsoft Office (version) > Change > Repair).

You should also ensure both Office platforms are fully updated.

If that doesn't resolve the issue, try closing Word then deleting Word's 'Normal' template. It's usual location is:
    C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates\
    Word will create a new one on startup. This won't fix anything with the existing documents, but may help with new ones.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One difference between Word 2010 and 2013 file formats which may be relevant is how they handle a paragraph space before on the first paragraph on a page. In Word 2010, this could result in the first paragraph pushing down the page but doesn't show in Word 2013 format.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia