Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Lost Message in Windows Live Mail 2012

Help! I've lost a saved email in WLM.

I did final edits on it this morning, pulling it from my drafts folder. Now I can't find it in Drafts or in Deleted Messages or anywhere on my computer! It's going to be a first email to a new group and I spent several hours getting it "just right" so am a tad stressed not to be able to find it.

Is there a way to recover it?

Suggestions would sure be welcome...and appreciated.

Linda

P.S. Computer is Windows 7 SP1.

Thanks
    If you've not done it yet, I'd suggest using the WLM search function, searching for a keyword or phrase that you know is in the email. Make sure you search all folders, not just the ones where you expect it might be.

Then I would try a file recovery tool that would search the hard drive. Not sure if it would find a WLM file but it might. Search for the file name first, then try the keyword/phrase.

A good free one to try is Recuva https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Here's another one, but I think if it finds the file, then you have to pay to actually recover it, or maybe a few files are free, can't remember.
    https://www.powerdatarecovery.com/

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for your suggestions, Vincenzo. Sorry I just saw them: for some reason the Lounge didn't notify me by email, my default choice.

I have tried the WLM file search in all likely folders, but will go back and check the unlikely ones as you suggest. I'll also try a file search with UltraFileSearch, one I have used before.

Is it the same idea as the ones you mentioned?

Will post back my results...and thanks again.

Linda

Thanks
    I know that the horse has bolted and disappeared into the distance (hopefully to return) but rather than just locking the stable door, can I suggest that when writing a long email, to do it in Word (other word processors are available) rather than in your mail client. I've seen too many occasions when someone has lost their draft because the mail client has hiccuped.
    Donít play stupid with me! Iím better at it.

Thanks
    The recovery apps I suggested look for deleted files.

UltraFileSearch only looks for files that are not deleted, I believe.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the clarification, Vincenzo. I will try one of the ones you suggested and let you know. It will be in a few days since I've had to re-create this particular email already...rats!

access-mdb: Oh, how wise you are! I've done some poking around in Windows forums and have found a number of people who have experienced my identical issue. They were told the email was gone for good, lost in the digital ether.

You will be glad to know that the subsequent 3 emails in this chain are now being written and edited in Word...and being saved every few seconds! My trust in WLM is gone!

Linda