Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question Linking from email to Online Document

Hi Loungers,

Not quite sure where to put this, but thought it fit here pretty well. If not, feel free to move it to the more appropriate forum.

I am sending out emails to a group of subscribers. I want to give them access to a document/form they can use. They don't know me personally, so an attachment will make them nervous about opening it.

Is there a free program I can use to create the document/form so it can be accessed online, via a URL in the email?

My Google research hasn't helped. Perhaps I'm not asking correctly. Whenever my research fails, I head here for Lounge advice.

Hope someone knows what I'm talking about and can steer me in the right direction!

Thanks for any suggestions,

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,225 Times in 1,066 Posts
    Use anything you are comfortable with creating the document such as Word, etc. Then save the document to OneDrive. Get a link from OneDrive to share the document by going to OneDrive.live.com, find the document, right click, select Share, clear the "allow edit" check box if you don't want people to change the document, then click get a link.
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 1,060 Posts
    Or use whatever cloud storage you have access to.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Joe and Paul's suggestions are what I would use for speed and ease-of-use. Just be a little bit cautious about 'terms of service', i.e. whether you are allowed to use personal cloud storage for what appears to be a business (subscribers = customers = business).

If this ever becomes an issue, consider combining a backup device with your own cloud service, e.g. something like the WD My Cloud Mirror so you can use it to backup your own devices to it and to create a 'share' for a group of subscribers to access, separate from the rest of your data.

Hope this helps...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

IreneLinda (2017-12-08)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Use anything you are comfortable with creating the document such as Word, etc. Then save the document to OneDrive.
    Using Save as PDF or Microsoft Print to PDF if you want people without Microsoft Office to use it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Question More Information and Aome Clairfication

Wow, thank you all very much. I understand what you're saying. I have some familiarity with DropBox (used it once or twice so not super comfortable) and have heard of OneDrive though never used it.

With either service, what would happen is:
    1. User clicks on link
    2. Link opens in OneDrive or Dropbox
    3. User finds my document and clicks on it
    4. Document opens

Have I got this right?

A couple more questions:
    1. Will this work regardless of user's computer OS?
    2. Are most users more knowledgeable about these services than I am? They are all from LinkedIn.
    3. Am I crossing a line here since these are business and not personal related?

Finally, is there any other way? I had some idea in my mind that there was some Google service you could use to do this. Of course, this is a Windows Lounge so perhaps beyond its scope.

Thanks again for being so willing to help. You can tell that I have not done this before!

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    If this is a one time thing I'd not worry about it being work or personal. If it is to be an ongoing work effort you may want to consider a basic business subscription to a service which does what you want.

The link you include in an email will go directly to the document. The user won't have to search for it.

A couple more questions:
    Will this work regardless of user's computer OS? - It should as it opens a browser.
    Are most users more knowledgeable about these services than I am? They are all from LinkedIn. - Maybe but then again maybe not. Being a LinkedIn member does not bestow knowledge
    Am I crossing a line here since these are business and not personal related? - don't know. What line are you worried about?
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your great answers, Joe...you cleared up my uncertainties.

As it is the only time I'm going to do this, I won't worry about doing it on a personal account. Can upgrade to business if it becomes more frequent, as you suggest.

Since you let me know that the link goes directly to the document, that will make it simple for even non-techies (such as I) to do easily. Perfect.

Maybe but then again maybe not. Being a LinkedIn member does not bestow knowledge
    I love this, Joe! (although I sometimes think that a number of LinkedIn members would disagree!

What line are you worried about?
    An ethical line, but you set my mind at ease about that in the beginning of your reply.

Thanks once again!

Linda

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome Linda. Good luck.
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, finally got OneDrive set up and pdf loaded. Tested it in email and it opened just fine.

A final question: does someone need OneDrive to open it or will it open in any browser?

UPDATE: Tried it in private browsing on Chrome and got it to open in browser...all good. Just not sure this would work with everybody and would like to be!

One note: when link first clicked, screen that opens says "can't generate a preview". Is this something I can correct in OverDrive Settings? Or do I need to worry about it if users can see and click an "Open" option on the same page?

Thanks again...sorry I forgot to ask this earlier!

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2017-12-08 at 14:52. Reason: Added update with more information.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Should work in any browser. User may have to download the document if the browser they have does not natively support PDF files. Not sure about the "can't generate preview". I'd not worry if users can see "open".
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Great, Joe...thanks! I'm actually delighted to see how this works. Had not realized the usefulness of OneDrive and definitely did not know that it would do exactly what I was trying to do!

I really appreciate your - and the earlier Loungers - walking me through this and being so clear with directions and clarifications. Don't know how I'd cope without this Lounge (and I sure don't plan to try!).

Thank you SO much!

Linda

P.S. Just sent test email and it worked like a charm!
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2017-12-08 at 17:35. Reason: Added P.S.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Great. Glad you got it worked out. Thanks for letting us know.
    Joe