New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Mesh WiFi without router?

Maybe someone here can help; TIA.

Friend's house in an area without any chance for reasonable Internet except a Verizon hot spot via a Jetpack; the Jetpack WiFi covers the first floor reasonably well.

The Jetpack is no workable solution to get WiFi into the basement (guest room and friend's den) and only poorly to second floor. Repeaters did not work for basement because of masonry walls and too many corners and twists to get there. No reasonable way to get Ethernet down there either.

So we are looking at mesh WiFi systems a la Eero, Luma, Plume, Google and similar. All of the configurations we have looked at so far seem to rely on a modem type WAN connection with Ethernet port for the internet connection. But the Jetpack does not have an Ethernet port, it supplies only a WiFi network!

Since I have not found any clear information yet here my question:

Does anybody know a WiFi mesh system that can work as a repeater by picking up the existing SSID and password and then "meshing" this around the place? That is to work like a single SSID extender without creating an additional WiFi network?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,061 Posts
    You could look at power line network extenders. They send the signal over your power cable and re-broadcast.
    I've had good results with Devolo units.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Eike, I agree with Paul about the use of 'Ethernet-over-Power' network extenders. I've had some great successes with them.

If you search WSL for 'powerline' and/or 'homeplug' you'll find a number of threads about their use.

Just be careful about mixing brands. Although it's supposed to be a standard, I've found that some makes of EOP extenders will not work with anything other than the same brand (see this thread for example).

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Another thing I have heard about powerline Ethernet: if the entire house is on one electric box, then powerline Ethernet will work anywhere in the house. However, if the different parts of the house are serviced by different electric boxes, you might not be able to connect from one side to the other with powerline Ethernet.

Here is some helpful info:
    https://windowssecrets.com/forums/sh...l=1#post888737

Thanks
    Most houses here in NA have 2 phases of electricity coming in, I would be surprised if a powerline adapter on, say phase A would be able to reliably talk to one on phase B. Note this is NOT said from personal experience just saying it would be something I would want to know more about for any given application .....

PS the list of smilies is finally displaying correctly
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't had a problem with a powerline adapter having to communicate from phase to phase lately. But back in the days when I was fond of remote light dimmers and other such powerline devices ("plug 'n power" devices from Radio Shack for instance), in some houses I would occasionally find it necessary to connect a capacitor with a capacity of a very few picofarads from phase to phase to facilitate such communications.
    I would not advise anyone to attempt that without expert assistance.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup...
    - - - - -
    Home Built System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, AMD Athlon II X3 435 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, ASUSTeK M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3 (AM3) motherboard, 512GB SanDisk SSD, 3 TB WD HDD, 1024MB ATI AMD RADEON HD 6450 video, ASUS VE278 (1920x1080) display, ATAPI iHAS224 Optical Drive, integrated Realtek High Definition Audio

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

wavy (2017-12-12)

Thanks
    I will keep that in mind, I may eventually have a use for such.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To all you guys who replied:
    THANKS A LOT!
    Yeah, I was aware of the thing with powerline adapters mostly having to be on the same circuit.
    BUT: Quite a few years after several try-and-fail attempts I found one brand that did where all the others had failed. It is so long ago that I don't have any info about that any longer.