Thread: Sync question

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sync question

Hi all, When syncing does one computer become the master and the others become the slaves. I am fairly active on all computers bookmarks and sometimes wonder if I am missing some links. Wonder if someone could explain the basics. Do the computers have to be online to sync or is the information stored somewhere? Many thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows 10 IE11/Edge Favorites (via Microsoft Account and OneDrive)? Or something else?

About sync settings on Windows 10 devices

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks BruceR I maybe missing something but not quite sure what I'm looking for. I've been using Sync for my bookmarks for some time so I know how to set it up, not quite sure of the protocol when I add or delete bookmarks on different computers that are synced how it shows what where and when on the other computers. As I asked is one a master and the others follow one or ??
    Thanks for your time...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Which browser? (IE/Edge/Chrome/Firefox/Safari/Other?)

They are all slightly different regarding bookmark sync.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks and will check out File sync but I'm am using FF and would like to know how it works. I didn't realize others worked differently, wondering if someone has done a comparison?
    Thanks....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,073 Posts
    You'd be better off checking the FF website and support forums. Almost all the browser vendors are providing mechanisms to sync favorites and other browsing data. Each has its own.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe, Makes perfect sense...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, interesting, understood the premise. Going to take Joe's suggestion and check Mozilla's forums...

Thanks
    There have been reports of Sync in FF hosing bookmark files, I would maintain an individual backup for each device!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What methodology a synchronizing system uses can vary a lot. It depends entirely on the implementation.

Master/Slave
    In a classic Master/Slave system, the slaves may be Read-Only to prevent even the appearance that the slaves have control. Another approach is that the slaves may be Read-Write, but any updates on the slave are lost at the next sync.

Peer-to-Peer
    In a Peer-to-Peer system, any system should be able to update the pool of synched items. This does create logic complexities. For example, what if the same item is updated on multiple peers, and the updates do not match? Which update represents the final state? Another problem is when an item is deleted; the synching system needs to know that a delete has taken place and replicate that action, rather than assuming that an add of that item took place on a different system, and adding that item back to the system where it was deleted!

Network Hosted
    This method creates the appearance of synchronization while never doing so. A network server is the one and only source of the shared items; clients dynamically access the shared items at runtime. This greatly simplifies data sharing but there is a downside. The network must exist and the network server must be online.

Network Hosted With Replication
    In this system a network server has the data AND all the clients do too. It is really complicated but there are some big advantages. Such a system tends to scale well, and it's fault-tolerant too. If the network or server is down the client can remain highly functional.