2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to access to local (user) disks from terminal services session?

Can anyone comment on how to control whether a terminal services user sees their own local workstation disks (e.g., "C$"). This is what I've seen on Citrix and other terminal services / remote access environments, but not on one client's Amazon cloud server (Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard). What is needed to enable this option? Thanks!
    Last edited by imjcarls; 2017-12-19 at 14:28. Reason: Entered bad key word

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Depends on the TS client and the admin settings. If the local drive is not mapped you can't access it. If IT don't want you to access it you can't.
    I don't know anything about Amazon cloud.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) for several years. RDC is the successor to TS.

The problem I always had was that my file system access in an RDC session were my local drives and not the remote drives. IIRC. I wound up doing a weird workaround by using the clipboard because the clipboard contents were preserved as you popped in and out of the RDC session.

You kind of expect that with tools like TS/RDC, when you're in them, you are logically "at" the remote system. All tools, references, and links should apply to the remote context. Yet my file system didn't obey that.

I don't know why it was so but I remember that problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,073 Posts
    If you are using RDC open RDC. Click "Show options". Click the "Local Resources" tab. In the "Local Devices and Resources" section click on More. Use the "Drives" entry to select the drives you wish available.
    Joe