Lounger
    Thanks

questions and internet problem

Windows 10 Pro, latest updates, Linksys E1200 router, wired/wi-fi internet: 3 wired computers, 2 cell phones & 2 tablets using wi-fi.

I live in a rural village in Belize, Central America. About 7 miles from here there are 2 possible ISP's. I have been using one of them for about 3 years. Up until several weeks ago, they had 10 (wi-fi) lines from their provider, which I think is the telephone company. They have their antennas on local towers from which they sent wi-fi to their customers, most of whom do not require much speed and do not use much internet. I, on the other hand, want maximum speed as I do use the internet a lot. After their techs got tired of coming out here to try to fix my problems, they gave me a line with no other customers on it, and I was pretty much able to get the maximum 2 Mbps that they have available.

A few weeks ago, they upgraded their 10 lines to 1 fiber optic cable from their provider. That is when my problem started, though I didn't yet know about the upgrade. Speed became variable - sometimes getting the 2 Mbps, then dropping down to almost nothing, and sometimes sitting at 0 before going back up. This keeps happening. Sometimes it is so bad, I can't even connect to yahoo. Downloading a large file can take hours - if I don't lose it completely. The worst times seem to occur from early afternoon to about 11 p.m. Also happens when it is cloudy or a storm is coming. This was not much of a problem before the 'upgrade'. I can watch the download and upload speeds as they are happening with Du Meter.

I have updated my network adapter driver- Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. The tech tried another router, but nothing changed. I've changed the cables (Cat 5e) from the company's device to the router and from the router to the computer. The tech played around with the ISP's settings, and assures me the signal coming in is proper. He has seen what is happening and doesn't know why.

The problem affects all my devices. So, my questions:

1) Is it possible that the single fiber optic line is carrying too much traffic?

2) Can the weather affect the signal? I know it won't affect the fiber optic cable, but what about from the ISP's main tower to the outlying towers? Or from the tower to my house? We do have line of sight to the tower (a water tower).

3) Is it possible that my 3 year old router (which I now know was an old model even then) needs to be replaced with a more modern one?

4) What am I missing?

I am not very knowledgeable about networks and greatly appreciate any help!!

Thanks in advance,
    Sheila

Thanks
    They have their antennas on local towers from which they sent wi-fi to their customers
    That sounds like wireless internet. Do you have a radio on top of your house to accept a signal from the access point? If so, you would have a small power supply in the house that plugs into the wall and the cable from the radio would plug into it and also your router.
    I'm on wireless and about a year ago my ISP went to a fiber optic line from a large city and the service was God awful for at least 3/4 months until they figured out how to use the new equipment.
    The worst times seem to occur from early afternoon to about 11 p.m.]
    That's usually a sign that everyone is sharing bandwidth at the same time and if everything isn't up to snuff with the system, it drags everyone down.
    It's been my experience that the local ISP blames everything on the customer unless the customer can prove them wrong, which I have before. Normally I unplug the router and plug 1 computer directly into the power supply and run a speed test to see what I am actually getting directly from their access point and radio. That way you have eliminated all other possibility's ie Router, other computers, etc.
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2017-12-30 at 13:19.

Thanks
    Over here in the USA, I have Spectrum, and internet speeds also yo-yo up and down somewhat. The more "on The 'Net' - the slower it is for everyone on the party fiber
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/
    Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Lumpy - So the thing on the top of our house is a radio! I thought it was some kind of antenna. Yes, there is a small power supply in the house that plugs into my UPS and then cables from go to it from the radio and the router.

I will try plugging directly into the computer and see what speed I'm getting. But I thought (obviously wrongly) that the router was needed for the computer to get the signal (either wired or not). I'll report back as soon as I see what happens.

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - I plugged the power supply directly into the computer, and the speed was truly awful. Then, I also tried powering off the router with the computer plugged directly into the power supply, and the internet disappeared. So does that mean that the router is still supplying the internet somehow? If so, does that mean the router could still be the problem?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roland - so maybe my ISP needs more than one fiber cable... Don't see how I am going to be able to convince them of that!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sheila_c View Post
    OK - I plugged the power supply directly into the computer, and the speed was truly awful. Then, I also tried powering off the router with the computer plugged directly into the power supply, and the internet disappeared. So does that mean that the router is still supplying the internet somehow? If so, does that mean the router could still be the problem?
    The power supply is a small box-like thing that plugs into AC power plug on the wall or your UPS.
    There are 2 things plugged into the power supply, the cat 5 cable from the radio on your roof and the cat 5 cable going to your router.
    I'm not clear on exactly what you did so follow these instructions.
    Unplug only the cat 5 Router cable from the power supply, then unplug the power supply from AC/UPS ( wait a full minute ), then plug the power supply back into AC/UPS ( wait another minute ), and then plug the cat 5 cable from your computer directly into the router port on the power supply ( the same port that you removed the router cable from ).
    Then reboot your computer and run a speed test with something like speedtest.net.
    If your speeds are still bad, call your ISP and tell them how you checked it so that they know that you aren't getting what you should be getting.
    NOTE: Just a point here, make sure you run MalwareBytes or something first to be sure that you don't have anything that is sucking up your bandwidth.
    Point 2, since your router was disconnected during the test, it can't be the router that caused anything during the test.
    Hope this helps

Thanks
    A router passes whatever it receives from a modem (wireless or hard-wire) onto any and all devices on the home or office network; my limited understanding: if no router, then "1 internet"/1 modem --> 1 device? I understand the operations is actually a two-way "conversation" between modem/router and device(s) on any home or office network.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

Thanks
    Since sheila_c hasn't been back for a few days, I assume that she is hashing it out with her ISP or has things under control now.
    if no router, then "1 internet"/1 modem --> 1 device?
    correct, only in this case it's wireless so ISP---to AP ( Access Point )---to radio on rooftop---to power supply which plugs into the wall socket/UPS and has 2 RJ45 ports. 1 port for cat5 from the radio ( signal in ) and another port to go to either 1 computer directly or router ( signal out ).

Thanks
    Thanks Lumpy for that additional information! Hopefully, I'm learning

Thanks
    No problem Roland, I'm in an extremely rural area and the only choices are dialup over 40/50 year old lines ( yuk ), Satellite ( which I tried and hate the caps on usage ), or now wireless which is decent ( not fast like city folk, but better than the other 2 options ).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    No problem Roland, I'm in an extremely rural area and the only choices are dialup over 40/50 year old lines ( yuk ), Satellite ( which I tried and hate the caps on usage ), or now wireless which is decent ( not fast like city folk, but better than the other 2 options ).
    I moved from the city to the country several years ago. I had two options in the city - cable or DSL. Now I have only DSL. At least I have DSL, because if I moved a mile or two down the road, I wouldn't even have that.

Thanks
    Jim, have you looked around for wireless ISP's? There are a lot of them popping up out in remote area's. I'm getting anywhere from 4 to 10 Mbps ( depending on total customers on this AP using at the same time ) which would be faster than DSL.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Jim, have you looked around for wireless ISP's? There are a lot of them popping up out in remote area's. I'm getting anywhere from 4 to 10 Mbps ( depending on total customers on this AP using at the same time ) which would be faster than DSL.
    I could go with Verizon home internet, which is 4G in my area. The problem is, I would have to buy my data at 10 GB portions. If we used only 10 GB per month, Verizon would be a little bit cheaper than what we now have. But we do a lot of online video streaming, which means we would need 20 GB or more per month, which will make Verizon a very expensive option for us.

I don't believe there are any other options available where I live, other than satellite or something just like Verizon. In truth, we like what we have for the reason that there's no limit on the amount of data we use, nor is there any throttling of the speed when we have used a certain amount of data. Our ISP is a small-town phone company which provides excellent tech support 24/7, so for these reasons we are sticking with what we currently have.