3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Index & Match Problem with named Ranges

I am having difficulty using a named range as the lookup in the match function. I have two name ranges that I use in the macro "Date" and "ExdivDate"

The following macro works and you can see I have hard coded the lookup part of the Match function.

Code:
    Sub DateBeforeExdiv()
        For x = 3 To 34
            Range("K" & x).Select
            ActiveCell = Application.Index(Range("Date") , Application.Match(Range("H" & x) , Range("Date"), 0)) - 1
        Next x
    End Sub
    For some reason when I preview the code above it is not correct.
    In the code after the e in Date it shows Application when it should show "), and Range ("H" & x) shows as only as Range("H

This does not work

Code:
    Sub DateBeforeExdiv()
        For x = 3 To 34
            Range("K" & x).Select
            ActiveCell = Application.Index(Range("Date"), Application.Match(Range("ExDivDate"), Range("Date"), 0)) - 1
        Next x
    End Sub
    The code above is not showing correctly the correct construction for Match is Match("Range("ExDivDate"),Range(
    To make sure the "ExDivDate" is correctly referenced I recorded a macro .

Code:
    Sub Macro3()
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=INDEX(Date,MATCH(ExDivDate,Date,0))"
    End Sub

And this works, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .It seems strange that the named range "Date" works as part of the index and match functions.
    Thanks

Peter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Peter,

Not exactly sure what the problem is with out a test workbook to use but I would however recommend that you not use Date as a range name as it is a Visual Basic for Applications key word. Not considered good coding to use key words as anything other than key words.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    For some reason when I preview the code above it is not correct.
    Peter,

Are you saying that the code does not diplay correctly in th VB Editor in Excel on your computer or are you saying that when you post in WindowsSecrets, the code does display correctly in your post?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Index and Match

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Peter,

Not exactly sure what the problem is with out a test workbook to use but I would however recommend that you not use Date as a range name as it is a Visual Basic for Applications key word. Not considered good coding to use key words as anything other than key words.

HTH
    Thanks for that tip, I will change the range I named "Date" n and see if that is causing the problem. It does seem as if my problem is with the named range ExDivDate. Will post a copy of my workbook if your suggestion does not fix it.

thanks Very Much for helping.

Peter
    Last edited by mitchbvi; 2018-01-08 at 11:35.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudibe View Post
    Peter,

Are you saying that the code does not diplay correctly in th VB Editor in Excel on your computer or are you saying that when you post in WindowsSecrets, the code does display correctly in your post?
    It does not display correctly in WindowsSecrets, never had that problem before.

Thanks

Thanks
    Where is that code located? If it is in a worksheet code module, all of the named ranges would have to be on that same sheet, or it would fail. It's better to either specify the relevant sheet, or use Application.Range like this:

Code:
    Sub DateBeforeExdiv()
        For x = 3 To 34
            Range("K" & x).Value = Application.Index(Application.Range("Date"), Application.Match(Application.Range("ExDivDate"), Application.Range("Date"), 0)) - 1
        Next x
    End Sub
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel