Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,073 Posts
    One of the problems with Outlook in general is the PST/OST file structure itself. It is a database not a series of files. While this is great as a central one stop repository for data it can suck for the management of the data. With the emphasis Microsoft has traditionally had on comatibility compatibility between versions I wonder how much design optimization has gone on for the database structure.
    I think you've done all you can and just have to live with it. OTOH, if you want to do more research check out Slipstick Systems Outlook forums, How-To-Outlook forums, & Microsoft Answers Outlook forum
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again mngerhold. You have gone to a lot of trouble and I appreciate it.

The only reason I embarked on this 'quest' in the first place, is that nobody I speak to about it has ever experienced this 'freeze' issue with Outlook. Their drag-and-drop is always instantaneous.

I was about to 'clutch at straws' and blame my Windows 7 Pro, so I am relieved that you have been able to replicate the problem running windows 10!

My PC is very fast, a 3.2GHz Xeon processor, with 16GB of RAM and SSD drives, so the speed of the computer is not related, but it does make testing a lot quicker.

The one thing I left out of my last post, is that I started with a new Outlook profile and new data file into which I copied all of my emails, then I archived and so on.

Thanks for trying, I will keep looking and maybe I'll eventually find the cause of why my Outlook behaves differently to that of others.

Regards
    useful

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again for your input JoeP517.

Having come from Outlook Express with its individual files, I concur that Outlook's problem is the database. Personally, I don't agree that it is great, as dealing with a huge database is always more difficult than with small individual files, but nobody at Microsoft asked for my opinion.

It is very annoying that nobody I speak to about this has the same problem with Outlook. All their drag-and-drop is instantaneous.

I will check out those forums you suggested, but I'm not optimistic.

Thank you again.

Regards
    useful

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by useful View Post
    It is very annoying that nobody I speak to about this has the same problem with Outlook. All their drag-and-drop is instantaneous.
    I now wonder if that's true, or they just don't notice? I tested another PC with W10 (50% faster cpu than mine) and I get the same effect. As it only happens on the first copy/move to the destination folder, but is normal after that, I could believe that many users miss it. The delay is the same on the faster PC (3-4s). I now recall seeing it on a company laptop I was using a couple of years ago - I then put it down to the network. Alternatively, perhaps people don't create folders with 'many' files (although 100+ is not than many), or (I suspect) don't bother to 'file' their emails at all. Many people I know keep everything where it is first created (the inbox or sent folder).

I am surprised to not find any similar complaints when searching the 'net. I can't believe we are the only two affected!

If I happen to get access to a faster (or perhaps any other) PC, I may try again - I'd like to know if we are being singled out for 'special' treatment.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 1,073 Posts
    I suggest you post a question at the Slipstick forums (see link in post #16). The Slipstick site is run by Outlook MVP Diane Poremsky. She is very knowledgeable.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by useful View Post
    Also, the size of the .pst file is not the cause of my issue (I tried archiving until it was really tiny and it made no difference).
    After you archived, did you compact the data file? That may help.

Also I paid attention as I moved some emails on my outlook 2010, on an older computer that runs Win 10 now. Moved an email into a folder with 300 emails in it, only about an 1/8 second delay. Same when I moved an email into Deleted items with 1400 emails.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your responses.

Firstly, mngerhold, I'm sure you are right and others I have spoken to either don't notice, ignore it, or are not careful filers of emails like me. I have noticed other complaints on the Web, but it is not as prevalent as I thought it would be. I'm sure that we are not singled out for 'special treatment', rather we have just studied this annoying problem more carefully.

JoeP517, I will post on Slipstick as you have suggested.

Vincenzo, I did compact after the archive and manual folder deletion. Overall, my 'slimmed down' Outlook is performing better, save and except for this annoying drag-and-drop issue. You are very lucky not to have it.

Regards
    useful

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Me again! For me it is the change in the (slow) folder contents that triggers the delay, so I found the easiest way to test this is to be viewing that folders contents (reading pane on/off doesn't seem to matter) and simply delete a message. I have been testing with two slow folders that I created by copying whole folders from another mail file. I should have paid attention when Outlook froze during that copy (both times, as I recall), so I had to restart it (to find the copy had completed).

Well those folders continue to be 'slow' - but if I copy the contents (some 200 emails) to a newly-created empty folder, that new folder is not slow. I tried this with various levels of nesting, in case that mattered - it seems not. I think (in my case) the slow folders are somehow corrupted, in a way that neither compacting nor running Scanpst fixes. So why not try creating a copy of one of your slow folders, by creating an empty one and copying just the messages, and let us know how you get on.

HTH, Martin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12