5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Remote control of pc using TeamViewer

I have been using Teamviewer for years. I can connect my PC to my work PC and it works great. When I try To go the other way around, I can connect, but it's like I'm in view-only mode. I can't click on anything. This seemed to happen when I had an automatic update to Windows 10. I have disabled my AV software as well as turned off the firewall within it. Not sure why it would connect only. There is no support with Teamview as I only have a personal account.

Anyone have any knowledge of this or how to fix? Even when I remote in from my iPhone to the PC it does the same thing.

KZ

Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,480 Posts
    KZ,

Have you run the Connection Wizard and checked all the settings?

TeamViewer.PNG

HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2018-01-12 at 17:33.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I see that you use TeamViewer as well. Everything seems to be setup fine. I even uninstalled and re-installed it. It used to work for years, then stopped. I can connect...but no "control."

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I even tried my Chrome remote viewer from my phone to connect to my PC and again, I can only view, but not control anything. Even the mouse movements should duplicate, but they don't. What could it be on my Windows 10 that is shutting down full control remote access??

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I go to Settings | Remote Desktop, it says "Your Home edition of Windows 10 doesn't support Remote Desktop"

Does TeamViewer require Remote Desktop, or is that something totally different?

I tried for many months to not allow the Windows 10 upgrade (I already had 10, but it installed something). I kept telling it no, but one day I looked up and it had automatically installed it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kzkz
    I can connect my PC to my work PC and it works great. When I try To go the other way around, I can connect, but it's like I'm in view-only mode. I can't click on anything. This seemed to happen when I had an automatic update to Windows 10.
    Q. What version of TeamViewer (TV) are you using?

I've just tried using TV Full (portable) v12 and had no problems connecting to/controlling Windows 10 1709 build 16299.19 running TV QS v12.

I've also just tried using TV Full (portable) v13 and had no problems connecting to/controlling the same device this time running TV QS v13.

Q. Can you send a CTRL+ALT+DEL from your end or leave a note?

Check the TV connection logfile (in C:\Users\<your logon ID>\AppData\Roaming\TeamViewer folder) to see if any issues have been logged. Search for exclamation points (!) in the logfile as these denote issues. (For example. my last session log showed errors when I tried to show the remote desktop's wallpaper.)

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    When I go to Settings | Remote Desktop, it says "Your Home edition of Windows 10 doesn't support Remote Desktop"

Does TeamViewer require Remote Desktop, or is that something totally different?
    Remote Desktop is totally different. The majority of consumers use a Home edition of Windows, not Pro, yet support organisations have no problems (usually) using remote software like TeamViewer, LogMeIn, etc. even though the Home editions don't support MS' Remote Desktop.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,643 Times in 1,480 Posts
    KZ,

After going through the Remote Connection Wizard on my Win 10 Pro desktop and rebooting so TV would auto start, I ran some tests with the following results.
    Couldn't connect from Win 7 Home Premium Laptop to Win 10 Pro Desktop.
    TeamViewerBlackLisgt.JPG

Next I tried adding the Win 7 machine to my TV Account.
    Results things worked as expected, you need to be signed in though. Since I had 2 factor verification enabled I had to enter a code from Google Authenticator but that's just good security.

Next I tried Disabling the Remote Desktop Services on my Win 10 Pro machine (target machine), also not a bad security measure.
    RemoteDesktopServices.PNG

Everything still worked fine.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK....so I ended up going back two sets up Windows updates and got it to work. It was Window's problem. Surprise. I also figured out how to completely disable the updates. So, so hopefully this won't happen again.

KZ

Thanks
    OK....so I ended up going back two sets up Windows updates and got it to work. It was Window's problem. Surprise. I also figured out how to completely disable the updates. So, so hopefully this won't happen again.
    Glad you found the cause. Care to share what the 2 updates were (in case others have the same problem)?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good question! I do not know what those updates were but they were semi-major build updates. I just hate it when Microsoft forces updates.
    I moved back to version 1607 build 14393.1944 and it works.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you try (on your work PC) whitelisting your home PC?