Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Skylake Win 10 Pro instability

My Skylake Win 10 Pro computer has been acting strangely for a while and has become crash prone, if any device is removed or switched. For example, if I switch my keyboard or mouse (I have tried them independently and have tried removing my USB switch) the computer usually (not every time) freezes. Curiously, sometimes it will simply stop reading the keyboard, leaving the mouse workable and sometimes it does the opposite. If I shutdown the computer with the OS, it will turn on again several minutes later. I have to shut it down with the OS, then turn off the power supply to keep it off.

Sometimes, after operating the USB switch (or possibly doing other ordinary things) the screen starts going black (blinking). I have checked the BIOS to see if the memory speed had somehow changed, but that does not seem to be the problem. In the past, I had the speed set too high for the mobo and got this blinking, so I set it lower.

The primary concern is that I like to switch my keyboard and mouse between two computers. The other one is a Haswell Win 10 Pro and has not had this problem, at least not on a regular basis (I vaguely recall it freezing a few times).

I tried disconnecting the router to eliminate it as a source. That didn't work. I have a Razer Black Widow keyboard that has programmable features. I uninstalled all of the software that came with it and am using only the keys, without any special features.

The one thing I have not tried is removing the video card. Could that cause instability, freezing, and automatic restarts?

Configuration:
    Windows 10 Professional (x64)
    3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-6700 Skylake
    16GB DDR4
    NVMe Samsung SSD 950 [Hard drive] (512.11 GB), plus various spinning data storage drives.
    Board: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA Rev 1.xx
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1701 03/25/2016
    Radeon RX 550 Series [Display adapter]
    DELL UP2516D [Monitor]
    XFX AMD Radeon RX 550 4GB GDDR5 PCI Express 30 Graphics Card Black
    Model: RX-550P4SFGR

Thanks
    Just in case it helps...
    Q. What Windows version/build? (from winver)
    Q. What are you using for KVM? (hardware/software?)?
    Q. Do you get the same symptoms if the KVM is disconnected (hardware) or uninstalled (software)?
    Q. Is the PC set to autostart in the event of a system failure (e.g. a faulty shutdown) or is there any 'auto power on' event set in the BIOS?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Just in case it helps...
    Q. What Windows version/build? (from winver)
    Ans: version 1709, build 16299.125

Q. What are you using for KVM? (hardware/software?)?
    Hardware. The monitor switches and can be used as a KVM, but it was not reliable, so I put the mouse and keyboard on a mechanical switch. It worked well for a long time, but now it is almost impossible to switch without freezing the Skylake.

Q. Do you get the same symptoms if the KVM is disconnected (hardware) or uninstalled (software)?
    Yes. I connected everything directly to the Skylake, including the modem. If I unplug the mouse, I get a freeze. Same for the keyboard. But, just to keep things confusing, a few times it has not caused a freeze.

Q. Is the PC set to autostart in the event of a system failure (e.g. a faulty shutdown) or is there any 'auto power on' event set in the BIOS?
    As far as I know it is not. I can't check while I am writing this, but I will check it. I certainly didn't change it and the computer ran fine for a couple of years.

Thank you for the reply.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W
    Hardware. The monitor switches and can be used as a KVM, but it was not reliable, so I put the mouse and keyboard on a mechanical switch. It worked well for a long time, but now it is almost impossible to switch without freezing the Skylake.
    Q, What's the make/model KVM and how old is it?

It sounds like your PC may be overly sensitive to electrical noise. If you turn the volume up as high as possible, do you hear any crackles when you use the KVM's switches or when you plug/unplug either the mouse or keyboard.

Note: You may wish to go into Sound and change the sound scheme to No Sounds temporarily so you don't hear any deafening Device Connect/Disconnect sounds.

no_windows_sounds.jpg

Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2018-01-14)

Thanks
    Have you checked the Event logs. They may provide a clue.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2018-01-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll check the sound. So far, I haven't noticed anything relating to it. This morning it occurred to me that I might have to update the firmware for the mobo. I know there is a new release, but I have been afraid to update because the first time I tried it, the mobo destroyed itself and had to be exchanged. I think this problem is bad enough to justify taking the chance that it will self-destruct again.

The way the switching works is that Dell has the ports built into the display unit. If I switch from one computer to the other, the video in and sound switch to the new computer and so does each USB port. This works, but I was having problems, so I went to a simple mechanical USB switch (Iogear). At this point, I wonder if the Dell was working fine and I tried to fix the wrong problem. In any case, with nothing done, other than unplugging the mouse or keyboard, the Skylake usually freezes.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Calimanco - I have not checked the Event logs. I will see if I can find something there. Thanks.

Thanks
    This works, but I was having problems, so I went to a simple mechanical USB switch (Iogear).
    I'm going to guess that this is the Iogear GCS52DP 2-Port USB DisplayPort cable KVM switch. If so, it's not clear whether the manual pushbutton is analogue (which can degrade with use and cause electrical noise) or electronic. If this is the KVM you are using then a) are you using the manual pushbutton to switch (or keyboard hotkey) and b) are you also using the KVM's optional external power supply?

If this isn't the KVM then what's the model no.?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going to guess that this is the Iogear GCS52DP 2-Port USB DisplayPort cable KVM switch. If so, it's not clear whether the manual pushbutton is analogue (which can degrade with use and cause electrical noise) or electronic. If this is the KVM you are using then a) are you using the manual pushbutton to switch (or keyboard hotkey) and b) are you also using the KVM's optional external power supply?

If this isn't the KVM then what's the model no.?
    The one I am using is a GUS402:
    https://www.iogear.com/product/GUS402/

I doubt that the switch is at fault, since the problem remains when I plug my keyboard and mouse directly into the computer. It also remains when I use the switching that is built into the DELL UP2516D, the same thing happens. So far, I have bypassed the router, the Dell monitor, and the Iogear switch. I am increasingly thinking there is something going on with the mobo, particularly since it sometimes goes into the blinking mode.

I did check the event logs and didn't see anything that I could connect with the erratic behavior. There are a lot of various events listed and I probably don't understand what some of them mean.

Thanks
    I am increasingly thinking there is something going on with the mobo, particularly since it sometimes goes into the blinking mode.
    I didn't pick up that it happens with keyboard/mouse plugged in directly. Do you use the main, hardwired ports at the rear or the peripheral USB ports at the front (i.e. via a mainboard header connection). If it's at the front then check the header connection is seated firmly.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Bob W (2018-01-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick - I usually have had the mouse, and keyboard; or USB switch plugged into the back of the computer. I did try the mouse on the front, but it behaved the same. I tried to listen for a sound, but there was none.

Thanks
    I usually have had the mouse, and keyboard; or USB switch plugged into the back of the computer.I tried to listen for a sound, but there was none.
    You mentioned earlier about removing the video card. Do you mean re-seating? Heat creep of components can cause the symptoms you are experiencing (which is why RAM and GPUs have retaining clips to prevent this) but it shouldn't be triggered by keyboard/mouse switching or removal.

It sounds as if you may be right, i.e. it's a mainboard issue... or PSU.

Sorry... don't know what else to suggest.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick - Thanks again. At this point, I may no longer have a working mobo. I did the flash update and the computer no longer POSTs. The mobo was a mistake. I spent too much on it and it has been nothing but one problem after the other. Their customer support are polite, but have apparently never seen a real mobo. As we have all experienced, at least occasionally, they answer questions by typing them into a computer and reading the answer.

I am using my old Haswell-Gigabyte now. I'm not quite sure what I will do next, but there are only a few options when the machine is dead.

Thanks
    Ouch... that's a sickener. Sorry to hear what happened.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Back from the dead!

Looks like my mobo is having fun at my expense. After a couple of times trying to get it to POST, I shut it down and held the start button (presuming it would discharge the caps). Then I let the thing sit there for a while. When I tried it again, I got a POST (maybe two), but got into the BIOS and set it to factory defaults. That apparently resulted in a saved BIOS that now works. My heart is beating again, but I am not yet brave enough to start stress testing the thing. I did try to read the version number and think it is the latest one. If so, the flash may have worked, despite the subsequent scare.

At the moment, I am back on Skylake and have not yet had to deal with the polite folks at ASUS. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast