Essential Utilities for every PC
Windows is a comprehensive OS replete with accessory applications and software tools for diagnosing, repairing, configuring, and generally using a PC system. But practically since the Windows’ first days, its users have relied on innovative third-party utilities to enhance their computing experience.
In this e-book from the editors of the Windows Secrets newsletter, you’ll find some of our favorite apps for sharing and compressing files, keeping our systems up to date, and even making our digital photos stand out.
As with our other e-books, The Windows Utility Guide pulls together tips and techniques from the Windows Secrets archives and puts them in a concise and focused format. All of our e-books make excellent, easy-to-scan resources – whether you’re a novice Windows user or a seasoned veteran. The Windows Utility Guide covers two topics:
- Ten essential utilities every PC should have
- Tools to look under the Windows hood
- Tools for hard drives
Happy Windows computing!
Table of Contents
Ten essential utilities every PC should have
- Secunia Personal Software Inspector
- Microsoft Security Essentials
- MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Tools to look under the Windows hood
- What’s my computer doing? A simple window into Windows
- System Configuration: Less quick and easy
- Soluto: A solution for advanced PC users only
Tools for hard drives
- Using and understanding SMART hard-drive tools
- Four free hard-drive maintenance tools
- Solid-state drives and drive alignment tools