Thanks

Chrome extensions at startup

I get that what Chrome is doing is loading "pieces" of all its extensions o0n startup. Is it really necessary for all that though? I understand that it may slow down Chrome's startup, but aside from that, is there really any need for all those particulars to load?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

mart44
    Not quite sure what is meant by 'pieces' but Chrome would need to load all enabled extensions on startup to have them ready for use. I suppose you could disable some extensions and only enable them when needed. This would stop them from loading as the Chrome starts. The fact that extensions and processes are listed as separate items in Task Manager is just the way that Chrome's architecture is.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mart44 View Post
    Not quite sure what is meant by 'pieces' but Chrome would need to load all enabled extensions on startup to have them ready for use. I suppose you could disable some extensions and only enable them when needed. This would stop them from loading as the Chrome starts. The fact that extensions and processes are listed as separate items in Task Manager is just the way that Chrome's architecture is.
    Mart, what happens though is that the extensions all load whether I am using Chrome or not. I think I answered / solved my question though:

In the HKCU of the registry, there is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --no-startup-window. This evidently loads all the extensions so that, as you say, they are ready for Chrome.

But if one [like myself] doesn't use Chrome but intermittently, the extensions being always ready doesn't matter.

The registry key is

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run]
    "GoogleChromeAutoLaunch_7F2CA6E43D66D23AB89DD32C7D 85EDE6"="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe\" --no-startup-window"

It can be disabled, but it is reset every time one starts Chrome.

Chrome can be started fine with "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Google\\Chrome\\Application\\chrome.exe" which loads all the extensions as well.

It would be nice to just permanently have the extensions load at startup, and then unload when you exit Chrome; or maybe a switch in the startup to have the extensions load for the current session, but not permanently would work as well. I get the quest for speed, but the unnecessary loading in memory is, at least to me, sloppy.

Oh well...

Thanks,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    At the bottom of Google Settings, click on Show advanced settings...; then at the bottom of that page, check whether Google Cloud Print is enabled (click Disconnect printers if shown), and uncheck "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed".

Bruce

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

bobprimak (2012-11-08)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    At the bottom of Google Settings, click on Show advanced settings...; then at the bottom of that page, check whether Google Cloud Print is enabled (click Disconnect printers if shown), and uncheck "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed".

Bruce
    Bruce, "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" did it!

Thanks,
    Chuck