Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook sending out multiple past email messages

Windows 7, Office 2010

This is an issue with my husband's Outlook (I confess I LOATHE Outlook and use a different mail program, so I'm not real savvy about Outlook). The issue started about a week ago when one of my husband's business contacts suddenly received about 30 messages that had been sent to him previously (about three or four days before). This has happened several times in the week or so since; a person he has sent e-mails to suddenly gets them again. Multiple copies.

Any clue as to what's causing this? We've wondered if this is a hacking issue; if so, what's the best way to deal with it?

Thanks!

Jo Byrd

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do the emails appear multiple times in Outlook's sent items folder?

Do you have webmail access to the email account in question and do the emails appear multiple times in the online sent items folder?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Have you ran a malware check?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Here are a couple of things you / he might take a look at:

Multiple messages 1:

Multiple Messages 2:
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, Browni, the e-mails do not appear multiple times in Outlook's Sent folder. Since he's using the mail client, sent items never show up at all in the webmail sent folder. My husband only finds out when the recipient tells him about it. It's really odd.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    t8ntlikly, The first link may be the culprit. I checked his sent folder, and the volume was...impressive. I deleted everything prior to the past three weeks (it's still impressive, but he might need those, he's not here to ask) in his Sent folder. With any luck, that'll solve the problem. Right now it seems the most likely culprit.

Thanks for the links.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by byrdwrites View Post
    No, Browni, the e-mails do not appear multiple times in Outlook's Sent folder. Since he's using the mail client, sent items never show up at all in the webmail sent folder. My husband only finds out when the recipient tells him about it. It's really odd.
    Yep, normal behaviour but items showing up in the webmail folder would be an indication his online account had been hacked.

Anyway, looks like you may have found the cause. Good luck!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    t8ntlikly, The first link may be the culprit. I checked his sent folder, and the volume was...impressive. I deleted everything prior to the past three weeks (it's still impressive, but he might need those, he's not here to ask) in his Sent folder. With any luck, that'll solve the problem. Right now it seems the most likely culprit.

Thanks for the links.